Solve Slope Line to y=e^bx: Find b Value

In summary: This means that the line is tangent to the exponential curve at the point (\mathbb e,b), since the slope of the tangent is 1 there.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A friend asked me to help him with this; probably simple, but I seem to be missing
something obvious:

For what values of ##b## is the line ##y=10x## tangent to the curve ##C(x)=e^{bx}##?

Seems we need ##C'(x)=be^{bx} =10 ## for some pair ##(b,x)##. But this is where it

seems hairy: how do we isolate either ## b ## or ##10## ? we can apply ##ln## on both

sides of ## C'(x)## , to get ## bx =ln(10/b)=ln10-lnb ## . Then what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
A friend asked me to help him with this; probably simple, but I seem to be missing
something obvious:

For what values of ##b## is the line ##y=10x## tangent to the curve ##C(x)=e^{bx}##?

Seems we need ##C'(x)=be^{bx} =10 ## for some pair ##(b,x)##.
For the line to be tangent to the exponential curve, both have to have the same y-value for a given x, and the slope of the tangent to the exponential has to be 10 at that point.

To find the point of tangency, you need to solve 10x = ebx, which can't be solved by ordinary means, although you can use numerical methods to get a close approximation.
WWGD said:
But this is where it

seems hairy: how do we isolate either ## b ## or ##10## ? we can apply ##ln## on both

sides of ## C'(x)## , to get ## bx =ln(10/b)=ln10-lnb ## . The what?

Thanks. What kind of numerical methods though? Maybe using the Lambert W function or
something?

Lets look at ##ax = e^{bx}##. Is ##ax## tangential to ##e^{bx}##?

##\frac{a}{b} = e^{bx}\Rightarrow x=\frac{\ln(\frac{a}{b})}{b}##. Such an x exists as long as ##\frac{a}{b}>0##. However, we also need ##{a}\cdot x = e^{bx}\Rightarrow {a}\cdot \frac{\ln(\frac{a}{b})}{b}=\frac{a}{b}## or ##\ln(\frac{a}{b}) = 1##.

DarthMatter said:
Lets look at ##ax = e^{bx}##. Is ##ax## tangential to ##e^{bx}##?

##\frac{a}{b} = e^{bx}\Rightarrow x=\frac{\ln(\frac{a}{b})}{b}##. Such an x exists as long as ##\frac{a}{b}>0##. However, we also need ##{a}\cdot x = e^{bx}\Rightarrow {a}\cdot \frac{\ln(\frac{a}{b})}{b}=\frac{a}{b}## or ##\ln(\frac{a}{b}) = 1##.

Ah, nice, so ## \frac {a}{b}=\mathbb e \implies a= \mathbb e b ## .

1. What is a slope line and how does it relate to y=e^bx?

A slope line is a straight line that represents the relationship between two variables. In the equation y=e^bx, the variable b represents the slope of the line. It determines how steep or flat the line will be.

2. How do I find the value of b in the equation y=e^bx?

To find the value of b, you can use two points on the slope line. Plug the x and y coordinates of these points into the equation y=e^bx. Then, solve for b using algebraic methods.

3. Can I use any two points on the slope line to find the value of b?

No, it is important to choose two points that are on the slope line and not just any two points on the graph. This will ensure that the value of b is accurate and represents the slope of the line.

4. What if I have more than two points on the slope line?

If you have more than two points, you can still use the same method to find the value of b. Choose any two points on the line and plug their coordinates into the equation y=e^bx. Then, solve for b.

5. Is there a simpler way to find the value of b?

Yes, if you have the equation in the form y=e^bx, you can simply compare the value of b to the coefficient of the x variable. For example, if the equation is y=e^3x, then the value of b is 3.