Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope rotating around a vertical axis.

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    This is NOT a HW question. I'd appreciate an explanation of the following:
    I would like to determine the forces acting on a mass set between two springs of constant k on a slope (the slope's angle is alpha). The slope revolves around the vertical axis with angular velocity w and the mass could only move along the slope in between the springs. Please see attachment. Suppose I choose my axes so that my x-axis is parallel to the slope. While calculating the centrifugal and coriolis forces acting on the mass, only the components of omega vertical to my x-axis should be taken under consideration (the cross product would otherwise yield zero). However, aren't there two components of omega vertical to the x-axis (projection of omega on z as well as its projection on y)?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Do you consider the mass to be constrained so that it only moves in the xz-plane, or are the spring attachments free to rotate in any direction?

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    Why x-z plane? The rotation is in the x-y plane (or r-theta if you will)! And the mass can only oscillate along the x-axis.

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Okay, how about if I ask this way: are you calling your vertical axis y? (Your OP mentions the projection of omega on z).

6. Feb 10, 2014 #5
    My coordinate system is simply rotated by an angle alpha counter-clockwise. See attachment.

Attached Files:

7. Feb 10, 2014 #6

olivermsun

Science Advisor

So your coordinate axes are rotating, with angular velocity ω parallel to the z-axis. The mass has to move in the positive-z direction to move outward (positive-x direction) while staying stuck to the slope, right?

8. Feb 10, 2014 #7
    Has to move in the positive-z direction? Why? It can only move along my x-axis. I am not following.

9. Feb 10, 2014 #8

olivermsun

Science Advisor

It's a "slope," implying that dz/dx > 0 along the slope. So, if x changes then z must too. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem, the mass is not allowed to move straight outward (in the positive x-direction) and through the slope surface.

The spring forces are also directed along the slope, by the way, as is the (net) force due to gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook