Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow mo walking chicken video, watch the head movement.

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    The video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDCk0DaNwiQ&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL28AFB6F1D7079B62

Observation of our chickens, when a chicken walks the head is kept motionless and then moves quickly to a new position, repeating over and over again as the chicken moves forward. Interesting to watch, there must be a reason?

So keeping the head motionless is best why? Is it a survival thing?

Do chicken eyes move in their sockets?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
  4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Looks like pigeons do it also,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Apr 22, 2012 #4
    http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=472 [Broken]

It seems they're not as adept at detecting movement while they, themselves, are moving, so they need their head to be still to get a clear image. I've found that in addition to chickens and pigeons/doves, ostriches do it to. I think it'd be interesting to compare visual cortices between species that do it and species that don't.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Apr 23, 2012 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

After your post, I observed several wild turkeys walking across the pasture. They made the very same head movement.

7. Apr 23, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny thing about chickens (and maybe other species)- when you pick one up and walk in the direction its head is pointing, it does the same head movement as it's being carried. But only up to a certain speed, then the head is still.

8. Apr 23, 2012 #7
    I've looked at a few phylogenetic trees (man, are they inconsistent) to see if there was some sort of trend, some factor of relatedness that was common between bird species that have been observed head bobbing and those that don't, but there's no clear link. It's seemingly random. I found it odd, but interesting.

www.reinhold-necker.de/Head bobbing print.pdf

9. Apr 24, 2012 #8
    Some similar ideas about this phenomenon:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook