Small confusion about an improper integral example.

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of the integral \int^{1}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}, which is equal to lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}\int^{1}_{t}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}} and also equal to lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}[arcsin(x)]^{1}_{t}=\frac{\pi}{2}. However, there is a disagreement about whether the limit should be taken at t=0 or t=1, as the function is not continuous at 1. There is also a confusion about why the first limit is
funcalys
We have that
[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}=lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}\int^{1}_{t}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}=lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}[arcsin(x)]^{1}_{t}=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
However, I think [itex]\int^{1}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex] should equal to [itex]lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 1^{-}}}\int^{t}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]
since f is not continuous at 1, not 0.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
funcalys said:
We have that
[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}=lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}\int^{1}_{t}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}=lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}[arcsin(x)]^{1}_{t}=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
However, I think [itex]\int^{1}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex] should equal to [itex]lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 1^{-}}}\int^{t}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]
since f is not continuous at 1, not 0.:confused:

Yes, of course: the problem is at 1, not at zero.

DonAntonio

Thanks but I'm wondering why they used the first one instead of the second.
[itex]lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}\int^{1}_{t}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]
[itex]lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 1^{-}}}\int^{t}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]

funcalys said:
Thanks but I'm wondering why they used the first one instead of the second.
[itex]lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 0^{+}}}\int^{1}_{t}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]
[itex]lim_{\stackrel{}{t \rightarrow 1^{-}}}\int^{t}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]

I don't know who is "they" but it most probably is a mistake or, perhaps, "they" wanted to make some point. Anyway, it is reduntant.

DonAntonio

Thanks, I was just confused when my answer doesn't match the exercise's solution, maybe some mistakes were made . Thank again :biggrin:.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is a type of integral where the limits of integration are either infinite or the integrand function is unbounded at one or more points within the limits of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using the traditional methods and requires a different approach.

2. Can you give an example of an improper integral?

One example of an improper integral is ∫1 1/x dx. This integral has an infinite limit of integration and the integrand function is unbounded at x=0, making it an improper integral.

3. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you need to split it into two separate integrals at the point where the function becomes unbounded. Then, evaluate each integral separately and take the limit as the unbounded point approaches the split point. Finally, add the two limits together to get the solution.

4. Are there any applications of improper integrals?

Yes, improper integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the center of mass of an object, and the total revenue from a production process.

5. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral is one where the limit of integration exists and the integral can be evaluated to a finite value. On the other hand, a divergent improper integral is one where the limit of integration does not exist or the integral evaluates to infinity, indicating that the integral does not have a well-defined solution.