Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    I am trying to find a small electric motor that be powered by plugging it into a car power adapter. I am trying to power a spinning shaft off of it that will need a fair amount of power. Meaning enough to spin a brush.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I did a Google Images search of DC 12V Motor, and got lots of hits. See if any of these are about the right size:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...818&q=12v+dc+motor&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
  5. Aug 10, 2011 #4
    Thank you. Are there any restrictions on how much power they can handle? Soory about the very simple questions...

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    I'm not sure what you mean by, "power they can handle". Every electric motor has maximum/design ratings for volts, amps, rpm, and power output (torque at the motor shaft). Find some motors from online sellers and look at the information. You'll get an idea of what is available.

Generally speaking, the larger the motor, the more power (volts and/or amps) it consumes and the more torque it can provide. There are exceptions, of course. Shaft speed (rpm) can be just about anything from a few hundred rpm to well over 10000 rpm. However, the shaft speed may be rated as "free", meaning that speed is measured with no load on the shaft. Attaching something to the shaft may dramatically lower the operating rpm.

There are also "gear motors" with built-in reduction gears*. They trade shaft speed for torque. A perfect example is a power window motor in your car door. The window doesn't need to move up and down very quickly, but it can be heavy, and there is limited space inside the door for a large motor.

* Gear-motors can also be built to increase shaft speed, but that is rare.

7. Aug 12, 2011 #6
    to determine how much power is available multiply the car voltage (almost certainly 12) by the power outlet fuse rating, the answer is in watts.

8. Aug 14, 2011 #7
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm sure as I go along I'll be asking more questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook