Small solar panel large toy car

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a solar-powered toy car and finding a way to store and release energy from the solar panel to power the motor. Various methods such as using capacitors and dead batteries have been tried, but the problem persists. The eventual goal is to have four motors moving on the road, but for now, one motor turning in low-friction air is the aim. The issue of incident radiation versus demand and the possibility of using a small solar panel to move an actual car are also discussed.
pug
I am working on building a solar powered toy car for my own edification. The problem I have is that I do not have enough power to start and continue the dc motor(s). I could add a bigger solar panel but I am trying to think of a way that the solar panel could simply collect the energy, store it, and then release it when the power has become sufficient enough to turn the motor. I would suspect that the car would either move in starts/stops or perhaps get moving and continue moving. either would be fine. I've tried capacitors and 'dead' batteries but nothing is working. I was thinking of adding multiple capacitors in a series. Success would be to demonstrate that a relatively large toy car could be moved by a small solar panel. any thoughts? thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the power density of incident radiation versus demand?

Likes billy_joule
Bystander said:
What's the power density of incident radiation versus demand?
I would eventually want (4) motors moving on the road...but right now I'll settle for one motor turning in the almost friction less air. so for that it would be the initial current required to start the motor which, from the amazon specifications, means it would require 200 mAmps. The angle of incidence of light will be entirely dependent upon where the sun is at at any given time of day so it will be variable. To push the thought concept to its extreme...would it be possible to move an actual car off of a 3X3 inch solar panel provided that the solar panel was given enough time to collect sunlight? And if so...how would the solar panel be configured to the battery? I was thinking I could just use a capacitor for the smaller toy car.

1. How does a small solar panel power a large toy car?

A small solar panel works by converting sunlight into electricity through the use of photovoltaic cells. These cells are made of special materials that can absorb and convert solar energy into electrical energy. The small solar panel on the toy car is connected to a motor, which uses the electricity generated by the solar panel to power the car.

2. How long does it take for the solar panel to charge the toy car?

The charging time for a solar-powered toy car will depend on the size and efficiency of the solar panel. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-6 hours to fully charge the car's battery. This time can vary based on the amount of sunlight, the angle and position of the solar panel, and the size of the toy car.

3. Can a small solar panel power a large toy car in low light conditions?

While a small solar panel can still generate some electricity in low light conditions, it may not be enough to power a large toy car. The efficiency of solar panels decreases in low light, so the car may not move as fast or may not move at all. It is best to use the toy car in direct sunlight for optimal performance.

4. Is it safe for children to play with a toy car powered by a solar panel?

Yes, it is safe for children to play with a toy car powered by a solar panel. The solar panel on the car only generates a low voltage, which is not harmful. However, it is always important to supervise children while they play with any toy, including one powered by a solar panel.

5. Can a small solar panel be used to power other toys or devices?

Yes, a small solar panel can be used to power other toys or devices that require low voltage electricity. However, the size and efficiency of the solar panel will determine how much electricity it can generate, so it may not be suitable for larger or more power-hungry devices. It is always important to check the specifications and limitations of the solar panel before using it to power other devices.