Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smolin-TWOP on string theory does not reproduce time dependant phenomenon

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    While I cannot now offer a page #, Smolin in TWOP offers his assessment of string theory as a theory of QG by pointing out that while GR does offer quantitative predictions of time dilation effects, string theory does not (if I understood Smolin correctly).

Any comments?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Get your page reference and exact quote, we can't have a discussion based on vague hearsay, with no assurance that you got the correct impression from what you read.

Maybe someone else can get a page reference and quote for this. I don't remember seeing what you say you saw in the book, but someone else may.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  4. Mar 19, 2008 #3
    Smolin was alluding to this:

"Yet another central problem of string theory is that the best understood backgrounds of string theory preserve much of the supersymmetry of the underlying theory, which results in time-invariant space-times: currently string theory cannot deal well with time-dependent, cosmological backgrounds."

Smolin argues that the above failure is why string theory is NOT a theory of QG.

Personally there is no guarantee that the 11D of strings will hide away 4 large smooth dimensions. The so-called semiclassical limit of string QG is as far away as in LQG.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?