1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smolin-TWOP on string theory does not reproduce time dependant phenomenon

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    While I cannot now offer a page #, Smolin in TWOP offers his assessment of string theory as a theory of QG by pointing out that while GR does offer quantitative predictions of time dilation effects, string theory does not (if I understood Smolin correctly).

Any comments?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Get your page reference and exact quote, we can't have a discussion based on vague hearsay, with no assurance that you got the correct impression from what you read.

Maybe someone else can get a page reference and quote for this. I don't remember seeing what you say you saw in the book, but someone else may.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  4. Mar 19, 2008 #3
    Smolin was alluding to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

"Yet another central problem of string theory is that the best understood backgrounds of string theory preserve much of the supersymmetry of the underlying theory, which results in time-invariant space-times: currently string theory cannot deal well with time-dependent, cosmological backgrounds."

Smolin argues that the above failure is why string theory is NOT a theory of QG.

Personally there is no guarantee that the 11D of strings will hide away 4 large smooth dimensions. The so-called semiclassical limit of string QG is as far away as in LQG.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?