So is lactose tolerance not a competitive advantage for Indo-Europeans?

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tolerance
In summary, the hypothesis that the ability to digest lactose had a caloric advantage to these herders appears to be unfounded, as lactose tolerance is a more recent adaptation. Additionally, the meta-study found that Niger is an outlier, with different percentages of the population having lactose intolerance in different countries.
BWV
Likes jsgruszynski
Science news on Phys.org
Looks like it was a really strong advantage afterwards:
That means that within about 100 generations, the mutation had penetrated populations across Europe. “That’s the strongest selection found in the human genome,” Burger says.

Thought this was interesting, a map of the % of the population with lactose intolerance, showing the lack of dairy animals in East Asia, among indigenous Americans and in sub-Saharan Africa. Not sure how this ties to milking animals other than cows, Horse milk, for example, was a staple of Mongols. Also interesting that Russia, the homeland of the Yamnaya (Indo-Europeans), has among the lowest rates

http://www.armenpogharian.com/lactose-intolerance-around-the-world/

map-of-Global-Lactose-Intolerance.png

• Informative
Likes BillTre and russ_watters
What's going on in Niger? All its major ethnic groups are from Africa, so it's not immigration from elsewhere.

Likes jim mcnamara and BillTre
mfb said:
What's going on in Niger? All its major ethnic groups are from Africa, so it's not immigration from elsewhere.
Guessing cattle herding in the Sahel?

It's not a typo at least. This meta-study has Niger as outlier as well.
Elsewhere the numbers differ a lot. It has Germany with a much lower fraction than Russia, for example (figure 2).
There was substantial heterogeneity between studies within most of the assessed countries (appendix pp 13–20). Egger’s test and inspection of funnel plots indicated some small-study effects or publication bias for some countries including Ethiopia, Russia, and China (appendix pp 21–29). Inspection of scatter plots also indicated some study population outliers

r0ir8xyv88x21.jpg

• Informative
Likes BillTre
Not at all a technical contribution, but if you check the quoted remark from Pumping Iron, the well-known star said, "Milk is for babies; when you grow up, you have to drink beer."

The comment can be changed to describe what the natural world has done for us humans, to say, "Milk is for babies; when you grow up, you can choose to eat yogurt."

I BELIEVE that lactose-intolerant people can eat yogurt without any problem.
( https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-lactose-intolerant-eat-yogurt-aged-cheese-6130.html )

BWV said:
Horse milk, for example, was a staple of Mongols.
Yes but they ferment it. I've read that it tastes terrible.

symbolipoint said:
"Milk is for babies; when you grow up, you have to drink beer."
I wonder why the issue is spinning around milk. It may be only my observation, but grown-ups usually eats far more cheese than the equivalent amount of milk consumption would be.
This also fits with herders (as far as I know). When you have food walking around you starvation is not a short term danger - though preserved food is still very important, both as a trading basis and reserve. And, possibly: foundation for warfare.
It's just me but I would check on the technology around milk processing (pots and tools). The invention might be proven to be just as important as bronze or iron.

Cheese age o0)

My (adopted) sister, with Northern British Isle heritage, is quite allergic to cow milk here in the USA, also to any beef product. (Headache, lack of energy, bed bound for 2 to 3 days.)

When traveling to Europe or British Isles, she has no problem at all. I hear it is a different breed of bovine across the pond!

Went non-lactose for half a year, just to see what would happen (nothing) ; when I went back to drinking milk, I spent the first few days on the porcelain throne.

BWV said:
Horse milk, for example, was a staple of Mongols.
Yeah, but it makes you want to conquer the known world.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
Yeah, but it makes you want to conquer the known world.
only so you can find something better to drink

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and BillTre
BWV said:
only so you can find something better to drink
Same principle as the British Empire. Had to find something better to eat than boiled beef and haggis.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Bystander and BWV

1. What is lactose tolerance and why is it important?

Lactose tolerance is the ability to digest lactose, the sugar found in milk and other dairy products. It is important because it allows individuals to consume and digest dairy products without experiencing digestive issues, such as bloating, cramps, and diarrhea.

2. Is lactose tolerance a genetic trait?

Yes, lactose tolerance is a genetic trait that is inherited from parents. It is caused by a mutation in the gene that codes for the enzyme lactase, which is responsible for breaking down lactose in the body.

3. Why is lactose tolerance more common in Indo-Europeans?

Lactose tolerance is more common in Indo-Europeans because they have a long history of consuming dairy products, particularly milk, as part of their diet. This has led to a higher prevalence of the lactase gene mutation in their population.

4. Does lactose tolerance provide a competitive advantage for Indo-Europeans?

It is debated whether lactose tolerance provides a competitive advantage for Indo-Europeans. Some studies suggest that it may have allowed them to have a more diverse and nutritious diet, while others argue that it may not have played a significant role in their success as a population.

5. Can lactose intolerance be overcome?

No, lactose intolerance cannot be overcome. However, individuals who are lactose intolerant can manage their symptoms by limiting their intake of dairy products or taking lactase enzyme supplements to aid in digestion.

Back