1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So what after calculus 3

1. Aug 12, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

So I am a physics and math major so far I am took Calculus I,II,III linear algebra and statistics
    I did really good in them almost acing all of them and aced vector calculus.

I am taking complex analysis and introduction to probability in fall. I have holiday in the winter break for about 1 month and I want to self study some high level material, so what would you suggest studying ?

I am planning to go into theortical physics PHD besides I really like math and started to like it even more than physics,so I want to improve myself even more than university so I need some suggestions.

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but it seems like it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Was your calculus course very rigorous? If not, you might want to go through Spivak's calculus.

There's really a lot you can do now: real analysis, abstract algebra, differential geometry, discrete mathematics, etc. Pick something you're really interested in.

4. Aug 12, 2013 #3
    Yeh it was very rigorous course but I might also check Spivak . Our Professor for vector calculus said that calculus is a subset of real analysis so I think should I go into real analysis ? What do you think ?

5. Aug 12, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a physics major, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations would be reasonable next courses. But why ask us? Your college catalog surely has a list of required courses and probably some "recommended" courses for physics majors. And your best possible source are your major professors.

6. Aug 12, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, doing real analysis is a great thing to do next. Spivak actually is an intro to real analysis, so do take a look at that book.

Are you comfortable with proofs?

7. Aug 12, 2013 #6
    Yes I am comfortable with proofs @ micromass. @hallsYeh I am already taking DE and also I am asking here because I want to get ahead of university and do more self study.

8. Aug 12, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Differential topology/geometry and tensor calculus.

9. Aug 12, 2013 #8

chiro

Science Advisor

If you are really keen, you might want to look on Spivaks Calculus on Manifolds book (not the same as the other Spivak titles that may be referenced).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook