Software bugs and gene mutations

In summary: This isn't simple control-based default behavior. The defaulting is based on interplay of various states defined elsewhere in the app.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Couldn't figure out which category to put this in so I put it here.

Today, the Product Owner stumbled across a feature that was working correctly, but should not have been.

A Yes/No button was defaulting to 'Yes'. It was eventually supposed to be implemented that way, but no one was assigned to work on it and we could find no record of a developer having added the feature. Tech Lead confirmed that it was inadvertently operating correctly, despite not being configured to do so.I mused that, like the one-in-a-million genetic mutation that's beneficial, this was a one-in-a million bug that actually made the software more functional.

Likes DennisN, jim mcnamara and YoungPhysicist
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I mused that, like the one-in-a-million genetic mutation that's beneficial, this was a one-in-a million bug that actually made the software more functional.
I think that useful bugs are much more common than useful mutations though.

Last edited:
YoungPhysicist said:
I think that ethical bugs are much more common than ethical mutations though.
What is an ethical bug?
What is an ethical mutation?

DaveC426913 said:
What is an ethical bug?
What is an ethical mutation?
Sorry, I mean useful. My poor English.:biggrin: I thought ethical means useful.

Likes DaveC426913
In many modern libraries and frameworks, especially GUI frameworks and rapid application development frameworks, it has become a deliberate design force to offer sensible defaults, also called convention over configuration [1]. This means the framework will in many cases deliberately work as intended without the programmer having to explicitly configure for that behavior.

But if we extend the discussion to whether or not actual defects in software have a chance of being beneficial I would say yes, but perhaps not by itself. I have several times over the years encountered a defect in software systems that somehow hid or reduced the effect of another much worse defect. Fixing the fix defect then have the effect of making the system worse until the second defect is also fixed. The scenario is actually fairly common when two sub-systems have to interact over a vaguely defined interface where one component is constructed with a bad defect that can be triggered by normal interface usage so the other sub-component have to deliberately introduce a "good" defect in its interface usage in order not to trigger the bad defect in the other component. The "good" defect is sometimes known as a work-around. For instance, historically the Windows OS had a number of such work-arounds that Microsoft had to keep carry forward over many years in order to stay compatible with older software.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_over_configuration

Filip Larsen said:
In many modern libraries and frameworks, especially GUI frameworks and rapid application development frameworks, it has become a deliberate design force to offer sensible defaults, also called convention over configuration [1]. This means the framework will in many cases deliberately work as intended without the programmer having to explicitly configure for that behavior.
Yeah, I glossed over the cause and effect of the behavior. This wasn't simple control-based default behavior. The defaulting is based on interplay of various states defined elsewhere in the app.

What are software bugs and gene mutations?

Software bugs are errors or defects in a computer program that cause it to behave unexpectedly or in an unintended manner. Gene mutations are changes in the DNA sequence that can lead to changes in the structure or function of a gene.

What causes software bugs and gene mutations?

Software bugs can be caused by human error, incorrect coding, or interactions between different components of a program. Gene mutations can occur naturally during DNA replication or as a result of environmental factors such as exposure to radiation or chemicals.

What are the effects of software bugs and gene mutations?

The effects of software bugs can range from minor inconveniences to major malfunctions that can cause data loss or system crashes. Gene mutations can lead to a variety of outcomes, such as changes in physical characteristics, increased risk of disease, or no noticeable effects at all.

How do we identify and fix software bugs and gene mutations?

Software bugs can be identified through testing and debugging processes, and fixed by making changes to the code. Gene mutations can be identified through genetic testing, and depending on the severity and impact, they may be treated or managed through various methods, such as medication or surgery.

Can software bugs and gene mutations be prevented?

While it is impossible to completely prevent software bugs and gene mutations, steps can be taken to minimize their occurrence. This includes thorough testing and quality control procedures for software, and avoiding exposure to known mutagens for gene mutations. Additionally, advancements in technology and understanding of genetics can help in identifying and addressing these issues before they cause major problems.