Solar Driven low Resource Consuption Steam Engine Materials

In summary, the steam engine used in this report is difficult to make and may not be practical for a small engine for a science fair. The easiest way to make a steam engine is to make a small pot that sits on top of a standard hot plate and build the engine on top of the pot.
dbmorpher
Hi I'm dbmorpher
For my local History fair I am basing my report on the Indutrial Evolution and it's Inventions namely the Steam Engine.
I wanted to know if there was an easy way to make a steam engine that was or had...
  • Low cost parts
  • No fuel such as coal or wood
  • No need for complicated tools
  • A small design (at most 2 and a half feet)
I was thinking about an engine that used the sun to heat the water but I am not familiar with any solar panel providers and do not know how to efficiently transfer heat. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dbmorpher said:
Hi I'm dbmorpher
For my local History fair I am basing my report on the Indutrial Evolution and it's Inventions namely the Steam Engine.
I wanted to know if there was an easy way to make a steam engine that was or had...
  • Low cost parts
  • No fuel such as coal or wood
  • No need for complicated tools
  • A small design (at most 2 and a half feet)
I was thinking about an engine that used the sun to heat the water but I am not familiar with any solar panel providers and do not know how to efficiently transfer heat. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

It takes a fair amount of power to make steam (even a little of it), so using the sun or solar panels may not be practical for a small steam engine for a science fair.

I think the easiest way to do this is to make a small pot that sits on top of a standard hot plate (that you plug into the wall for power), and build your steam piston engine on top of the pot. You could have a single cylinder turn a flywheel with steam power, for example. The hardest part would be fitting the piston into the cylinder, because you need fairly good tolerances for that. But you might be able to adapt an old radio-controlled airplane engine to steam power (I'm not sure how hard that might be), or figure out some other simple way to get a piston fitted well into a cylinder (for low friction movement back and forth).

berkeman said:
I think the easiest way to do this is to make a small pot that sits on top of a standard hot plate (that you plug into the wall for power), and build your steam piston engine on top of the pot.

Don't try to make it too small. The power loss caused by badly fitting pistons etc will be proporionally worse for a small engine than a big one. Low pressure steam acting on a big piston area will generate as much force as higher pressure on a small area, but with a lot less leakage.

Than You all for your help
I have an idea of what I am going to do now

Solar driven for steam means Parabolic dishes. So you'll have to do something like a solar oven to boil it. Possibly even a cheap half-ball lens ($10-20) with the focal point on a heat exchanger section of your pipe. Large parabolic dish focused on a mirror directing to your ball lens should let you get a few hundred degrees if you have good summer quality sun. Parabolic dises alone can hit 300 or so degrees.

Oh I had seen that image in a book I had read "A History of the Growth of the Steam Engine" I thought it to be theoretical not plausible

1. What is a Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engine?

A Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engine is a type of steam engine that runs on solar energy, making it a sustainable and environmentally-friendly option. It is designed to use minimal resources, making it a more efficient and cost-effective choice.

2. How does a Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engine work?

A Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engine works by using solar energy to heat water and create steam, which then powers the engine. The solar energy is harnessed through solar panels and used to heat the water to high temperatures, similar to traditional steam engines.

3. What materials are used in Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engines?

Several materials are used in Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engines, including solar panels, water tanks, pipes, and various metals such as steel and copper. These materials are carefully chosen to withstand high temperatures and ensure the efficient functioning of the engine.

4. What are the benefits of using Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engines?

There are several benefits to using Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engines. They are a sustainable and renewable energy source, reducing reliance on fossil fuels. They also have low operating costs and require minimal maintenance, making them a cost-effective and efficient option.

5. Are there any limitations to Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engines?

While Solar Driven low Resource Consumption Steam Engines have many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. They require a large surface area for solar panels and may not be suitable for areas with low sunlight. They also have a lower power output compared to traditional steam engines, so they may not be suitable for large-scale industrial use.