Solving Solar Neutrino Problem with Planck Scale Foams

In summary, the paper "Solves the solar neutrino problem by linking to Planck scale foams aka LQG." suggests that the problem may be solved by linking neutrinos to Planck scale foams, which could explain the deficit of neutrinos detected by solar neutrinos detectors. However, this theory is still under investigation and there is still much to learn about neutrino oscillations.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
can anyone tell me if the, "solar neutrino problem", has been
solved, i ask because, i found a April 2004 paper that "solves"
the problem by linking to Planck scale foams aka LQG.
the thread is "quantum gravity Planck scales" in S and GR.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0404014

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it fully solved the problem, but the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) confirmed neutrino oscillations in the last couple of years.

There is very strong evidence these days that neutrinos oscillate. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a closed case, however.

- Warren

There is still a lot of ongoing research into neutrino oscillations, the so called "neutrino factory". The solar neutrino problem is far from solved.

wolram said:
can anyone tell me if the, "solar neutrino problem", has been
solved, i ask because, i found a April 2004 paper that "solves"
the problem by linking to Planck scale foams aka LQG.
the thread is "quantum gravity Planck scales" in S and GR.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0404014

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030120/030120-4.html

http://www.nature.com/nsu/010621/010621-5.html

Zz.

thankyou all, i can see that the therory in the paper i pointed to
may be worthy of consideration.

If by 'solar neutrino problem' you mean 'why do the classic solar neutrino detectors find only ~65% of the neutrinos predicted from solar models?', then the problem has been solved, in the sense that the solar models have been found to be sound, and the 'deficit' of neutrinos laid at the door of neutrino oscillations. In this sense, it's no longer a 'solar' neutrino problem, rather a 'neutrino' problem.

Nereid said:
If by 'solar neutrino problem' you mean 'why do the classic solar neutrino detectors find only ~65% of the neutrinos predicted from solar models?', then the problem has been solved, in the sense that the solar models have been found to be sound, and the 'deficit' of neutrinos laid at the door of neutrino oscillations. In this sense, it's no longer a 'solar' neutrino problem, rather a 'neutrino' problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i understand better now, the neutrino is a schizophrenic particle
that can change character every few hundred miles. but what
causes these changes?

Excellent question!

In one way, the answer is very simple: at least one flavour has non-zero mass. However, this just pushes the question back - why does it have non-zero mass (or, why don't the other flavours also have non-zero mass)? Also, what is that mass? And, will the Higgs help us understand neutrinos better? Do we need a SUSY theory??

I once read an article of Baez that said that the key was in a matrix called the Maki-Nakagawa-Sakata matrix. I even remember that he described that matrix like "misterious"

Why don't muon neutrinos oscillate with electron neutrinos?

1. What is the "Solar Neutrino Problem"?

The Solar Neutrino Problem refers to the discrepancy between the predicted and observed number of neutrinos coming from the Sun. Early experiments in the 1960s and 70s detected fewer neutrinos than expected, leading to the realization that something was missing in our understanding of the Sun's energy production.

2. How can Planck Scale Foams help solve this problem?

Planck Scale Foams are theoretical structures that exist at the smallest scale of the universe, known as the Planck scale. These foams are thought to be responsible for the properties of particles and forces at this scale. By studying the behavior of neutrinos within these foams, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the Solar Neutrino Problem.

3. What is the role of neutrinos in the Sun's energy production?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that are produced in the nuclear reactions happening at the core of the Sun. These particles are able to travel through the Sun's dense layers without being absorbed, making them a valuable tool for studying the Sun's inner workings. However, the number of neutrinos detected on Earth has been consistently lower than predicted, leading to the Solar Neutrino Problem.

4. What is the current status of research on Planck Scale Foams and the Solar Neutrino Problem?

Research on Planck Scale Foams and their potential role in solving the Solar Neutrino Problem is ongoing. Some studies have shown promising results, suggesting that the foam structure may indeed affect the behavior of neutrinos and could potentially explain the observed deficit. However, more research and experiments are needed to confirm these findings.

5. How does this research impact our understanding of the universe?

If Planck Scale Foams are found to play a role in solving the Solar Neutrino Problem, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could provide insight into the fundamental structure of the universe and how particles and forces interact at the smallest scales. It could also help us better understand the behavior of neutrinos and their role in astrophysical processes.