Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid

1. Mar 24, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone!

I am new to these forums and glad to see a great community helping out each other.

I have a question regarding a solenoid valve design. What should be the design ethics and safety considerations for a 240 volts AC connected solenoid valve that is used for a cryogenic vessel containing liquid nitrogen?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:welcome:

Is it your concern that lose of power would open the valve and let the nitrogen leak out?

4. Mar 24, 2017 #3
    Yes one of the concerns is that. But what could be other safety related aspects apart from the leakage?

5. Mar 24, 2017 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solenoid valves come two ways. One needs power to keep it closed and the other needs power to keep it open. Which kind do you have?

A valve of any type could freeze up, especially when open and liquid nitrogen flows out.

6. Mar 24, 2017 #5
    It needs power to keep it open

7. Mar 24, 2017 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

8. Mar 24, 2017 #7
    Sorry, i do not have an idea of the actual solenoid application. I have seen quite a lot of videos but there seems to be many types.

Its just a designing project in which i just have to write safety aspects in its design. I am thinking of leakage but there could also be spring failure and many other safety issues?

9. Mar 24, 2017 #8

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other types of valves can have springs.

In that case, the hazards I see apply to any valve, not specifically to a solenoid operated valve.

Nitrogen is not flammable, so sparks are not an issue.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  10. Mar 24, 2017 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

wow .

there's a valve for every purpose under heaven.

My advice is start with cryogenic valve catalogs and see what terms they use.
    What comes to mind for me is materials .
    Seals must not get brittle at low temperature, thermal expansion of moving parts must match so as to not cause binding, insulation on wires must withstand the cold as must plastic housings.

Then start googling those terms. With any luck you'll run into some "white papers" written for valve designers.

Here's a couple of catalogs to get you started
    http://www.valcor.com/scientific-and-industrial/cryogenic-solenoid-valves/
    http://www.asco.com/ASCO Asset Library/asco-cryogenic-valves-catalog.pdf

old jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted