Solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid

In summary, the designer should be concerned with safety issues such as the risk of a solenoid valve freezing up and leaking, as well as ensuring that the design meets cryogenic valve specifications.
Yasir132
Hello everyone!

I am new to these forums and glad to see a great community helping out each other.

I have a question regarding a solenoid valve design. What should be the design ethics and safety considerations for a 240 volts AC connected solenoid valve that is used for a cryogenic vessel containing liquid nitrogen?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Is it your concern that lose of power would open the valve and let the nitrogen leak out?

Yes one of the concerns is that. But what could be other safety related aspects apart from the leakage?

Solenoid valves come two ways. One needs power to keep it closed and the other needs power to keep it open. Which kind do you have?

A valve of any type could freeze up, especially when open and liquid nitrogen flows out.

anorlunda said:
Solenoid valves come two ways. One needs power to keep it closed and the other needs power to keep it open. Which kind do you have?

A valve of any type could freeze up, especially when open and liquid nitrogen flows out.
It needs power to keep it open

The solenoid valve would likely be what they use in the LNO2 versions of these environmental chambers. Is this similar to what you are doing?

http://www.sunelectronics.com/Temperature-Test-Chambers.html
co2_2.jpg

Sorry, i do not have an idea of the actual solenoid application. I have seen quite a lot of videos but there seems to be many types.

Its just a designing project in which i just have to write safety aspects in its design. I am thinking of leakage but there could also be spring failure and many other safety issues?

Other types of valves can have springs.

In that case, the hazards I see apply to any valve, not specifically to a solenoid operated valve.

Nitrogen is not flammable, so sparks are not an issue.

Last edited:
Yasir132 said:
What should be the design ethics and safety considerations for a 240 volts AC connected solenoid valve that is used for a cryogenic vessel containing liquid nitrogen?

wow .

there's a valve for every purpose under heaven.

My advice is start with cryogenic valve catalogs and see what terms they use.
What comes to mind for me is materials .
Seals must not get brittle at low temperature, thermal expansion of moving parts must match so as to not cause binding, insulation on wires must withstand the cold as must plastic housings.

Then start googling those terms. With any luck you'll run into some "white papers" written for valve designers.

Here's a couple of catalogs to get you started
http://www.valcor.com/scientific-and-industrial/cryogenic-solenoid-valves/
http://www.asco.com/ASCO Asset Library/asco-cryogenic-valves-catalog.pdf

old jim

Likes berkeman

1. What is a solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid?

A solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid is a type of valve that is designed to control the flow of extremely cold fluids, typically below -150 degrees Celsius. It uses an electromagnetic coil to open and close the valve, allowing the fluid to pass through or stop its flow.

2. How does a solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid work?

The solenoid valve works by using an electromagnetic coil to create a magnetic field, which pulls a plunger or piston to open or close the valve. This allows the cryogenic fluid to either flow through the valve or stop its flow, depending on the position of the plunger or piston.

3. What are the benefits of using a solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid?

Some of the benefits of using a solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid include its ability to operate in extreme temperatures, its fast response time, and its compact size. It also provides precise control over the flow of the fluid, making it ideal for applications that require accurate and consistent flow rates.

4. What are some common applications of a solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid?

Solenoid valves for cryogenic fluids are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, medical, and food processing. They are also used in cryogenic storage and transportation systems, as well as in research and laboratory settings for handling extremely cold fluids.

5. How do I choose the right solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid?

When choosing a solenoid valve for a cryogenic fluid, it is important to consider factors such as the type of fluid being used, the flow rate and pressure requirements, and the temperature range of the application. It is also important to select a valve that is made from materials that can withstand the extreme temperatures and properties of cryogenic fluids.