Solenoid Valves, fluid through Nozzle - not closing

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a kerosene spraying system using a pressurized vessel and a solenoid valve. The issue occurs when first using the system after charging the vessel with fuel and nitrogen, causing the fuel to continue spraying after the valve is turned off. It is suggested that this may be due to air in the solenoid chamber. Options for resolving the issue include flushing the air out of the chamber or using a different type of solenoid valve.
mjl1982
Hello

I have a problem that I can't understand...

I am putting kerosene pressurised to 160psi through a 1/4" BSP solenoid with 13mm orifice.

On the out port of the solenoid is a 1/4" BSP to 2mm ID nozzle.

The idea is it sprays out a stream of kerosene.

The kerosene is provided by a pressure vessel that is charged with nitrogen. The outlet going to the solenoid is at the bottom, the inlet from the N2 is at the top.

This works fine, except the first time it is used after charging the vessel with fuel and N2 gas. In this situation there is N2/air in the line between the vessel and the solenoid input. On pressurising and opening the solenoid valve first gas comes out, then fuel. The fuel fires out and won't turn off. It takes a random time up to a few seconds to stop after removing power to the coil.

Energising the coil immediately afterwards results in normal operation.

I can then repeat the problem by turning the vessel upside down and clearing the solenoid line of fuel. Reverting the vessel to the correct orientation and opening the solenoid again results in the same problem as above.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on! I can't see how it's failing on the first opening.

The solenoids are pilot style... so I wonder if the air coming through is causing problems pushing down on the plunger?

Thanks

Mat

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pilot operated SV's have a chamber that will be filled with air until they're operated or flushed out with the liquid. Sounds like that's what's happening. The air has to be flushed out of that chamber first.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Why doesn't the air work like the liquid does? Is it because it compresses?

Also can you recommend a type of solenoid valve that would work? I believe pilot operated is most common for the dimensions and pressures I'm working with.

Thanks

Mat

mjl1982 said:
Why doesn't the air work like the liquid does? Is it because it compresses?
That's probably what's going on. Why not just keep it filled with liquid? Does it get air in it under normal circumstances?

If it doesn't work for you, you can go with a direct acting SV or contact the mfg for recommendations.

1. What is a solenoid valve?

A solenoid valve is an electromechanical device that is used to control the flow of fluids through a system. It consists of a coil of wire, called a solenoid, which creates a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This magnetic field then moves a plunger or armature, which opens or closes the valve to allow or block the flow of fluid.

2. How does a solenoid valve work?

When an electric current is passed through the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the plunger or armature towards the center of the coil. This movement opens the valve and allows fluid to flow through. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears and the spring inside the valve closes the valve, stopping the flow of fluid.

3. What is the purpose of a nozzle in a solenoid valve?

The nozzle in a solenoid valve helps to control the flow of fluid by directing it through a specific area or path. It can also help to create a more precise and controlled flow of fluid, making the valve more efficient and effective.

4. Why is my solenoid valve not closing properly?

There can be a few reasons why a solenoid valve is not closing properly. It could be due to a faulty solenoid or armature, a blockage in the valve, or a malfunction in the electrical circuit. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional assistance to diagnose and fix the issue.

5. Can solenoid valves be used with all types of fluids?

No, solenoid valves are designed to work with specific types of fluids. It is important to check the compatibility of the valve with the fluid being used before installation. Using a solenoid valve with the wrong type of fluid can damage the valve and affect its performance.