Solid State Physics problem book?

In summary, some recommended resources for solid state physics at the level of Kittel include "Problems and Solutions on Solid State Physics, Relativity and Miscellaneous Topics" by Yung-Kuo Lim and "Solid State Physics: Problems and Solutions" by Laszlo Mihaly and Michael C Martin. There is also "1000 Solved Problems in Modern Physics" by Ahmad A. Kamal. These texts contain a variety of proposed and solved exercises, making them helpful for studying the subject.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member
What are some recommended resources with good problems (and preferably solutions as well) on Solid State Physics at the level of Kittel? I'm aware of Yung-Kuo Lim's "Problems and Solutions on Solid State Physics, Relativity and Miscellaneous Topics" which has graduate qualifying exam questions. However, I find graduate qualifying problems to lack depth of material and to not stress calculations. I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, definitely the best book is the solid state Kittel, however for your pretensions, here I recommend two good texts with many proposed and solved exercises. They hope you find them helpful. Greetings.

Solid State Physics: Problems and Solutions Laszlo Mihaly & Michael C Martin
1000 Solved Problems in Modern Physics Ahmad A. Kamal

Likes ZetaOfThree
Thanks very much for the recommendations! The book by Mihaly & Martin looks good!

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of solid materials, such as metals, alloys, semiconductors, and insulators. It explores the behavior of electrons, atoms, and molecules in these materials and how they interact to determine their properties.

2. What is a problem book in solid state physics?

A problem book in solid state physics is a collection of practice problems and exercises designed to help students develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles of solid state physics. These problems often require students to apply their knowledge to real-world situations and can be used as a supplement to traditional textbooks.

3. Who can benefit from using a solid state physics problem book?

Students studying solid state physics at the undergraduate or graduate level can benefit from using a problem book as it helps them practice and reinforce their understanding of the material. Researchers and professionals in the field can also use problem books as a resource for reviewing and expanding their knowledge.

4. What topics are typically covered in a solid state physics problem book?

Topics covered in a solid state physics problem book can vary, but they often include crystal structure, band theory, semiconductor physics, magnetism, and optical properties. Some problem books may also cover more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. How can I use a solid state physics problem book effectively?

To use a solid state physics problem book effectively, it is important to first have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and principles. Start by reading through the material and working through any examples provided. Then, attempt the practice problems and use them to identify areas where you may need to review or seek further clarification. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek guidance from a professor or tutor.