Solubility of PbSO4: Uncovering the Mystery

• Thread starter Kqwert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the equilibrium equation states that the concentration of SO42- will increase when H2SO4 is added to PbSO4. This is because the dissociation percentage of HSO4- is high compared to SO4^2-.
Kqwert
Homework Statement
The solubility of PbSO4(s) increase with the addition of H2SO4. Why?
Relevant Equations
I don't quite understand this. When solving PbSO4(s) we get the equilibrium equation:

PbSO4(s) <--> Pb2+ + SO42-.

I know H2SO4 is a strong acid, that will dissociate completely (or almost completely), Like this:

H2SO4 -> H+ + HSO4-
HSO4- -> H+ + SO42-So as far as I can see, the concentration of SO42- increases, which should give a lower solubility of PbSO4(s) (Common ion effect). What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the value of Ka2.

It's 10^-1.99? I.e. high? What does that tell us?

Kqwert said:
It's 10^-1.99?

Yes. Use this number to calculate what part of HSO4- is dissociated at pH 1.

What do you mean by "what part"?

I don't understand what this is leading to, and why exactly pH 1?

"Part" as in dissociation percentage (fraction) - ratio of dissociated to the analytical concentration.

pH of 1 because that makes calculations easy, it could be as well pH 0. Mainly it is about low pH (which is typical of sulfuric acid solutions). Conclusion (once we reach it) is the same in both cases.

Kqwert said:
I don't understand what this is leading to

When we get there you will either wonder why you have seen it from the very beginning, or it will broaden your understanding of strong/weak acids :wink:

Ok,

so we have the equilibrium eq. :

10^-2 = [10^-1][SO4^2-] / [HSO4^-].

This results in:
0.1 = [SO4^2-] / [HSO4^-]

I.e. concentration of HSO4^- is significantly higher than SO4^2-. But what exactly does this tell us?

Hint: you have already mentioned common ion effect.

I assume it's something like [H^+] from the acid reacting with [SO4^2-] from the dissolution of our compound (which reduces the total concentration of [SO4^2-] in solution), which again will increase the amount of [Pb^2+] in solution..?

Yes. Sulfuric acid, H2SO4, is a strong one, but HSO4- is a much weaker one (still quite strong though). At low pH solutions are dominated by the HSO4- form. That in turn means at low pH solubility of sulfates goes up.

Solubility of SO4^2- goes up and not down?

No such thing as solubility of SO42-. You can't dissolve single anion. What changes is the solubility of sulfates - salts containing SO42-.

It is worth noting that while PbSO4 is insoluble in water, Pb(HSO4)2 is soluble. Given this information and the information about the equilibrium between H+ + SO4 ##\rightleftharpoons## HSO4, can you explain how the addition of H2SO4 to PbSO4 causes the Pb2+ ions to go into solution.

Something like the H+ ions will "force" Pb2+ ions into solution as it wants to form HSO4-? (and therefore needs the SO42- from PbSO4)..??

Isn't this the same sort of thing as blowing into lime water turns it milky with CaCO3 precipitate, but blowing further makes it turn clear as you get the more soluble Ca(HCO3)2? Something that took me several years to get my head around at school, the apparently two-way reaction to varying one parameter seeming paradoxical and I was tendentially incredulous like Kqwert. But at least I had seen it really happen. Hopefully there is a you-tube demonstration for lead sulphate/bisulphate to be found.

I think one difficulty for students is that this explanation needs an explanation. I.e. Why are the bicarbonates and bisulphates more soluble than the carbonates or sulphates? Considering how much solubility comes into chemistry it tends not to be proportionately treated in chemical education. Er, Madelung, Born-Landé, waves hands, buut crudely A more concentrated double negative charge on the molecule is effectively lmore attractive to positive charges surrounding than is two separated single charges, giving more stability to the solid. I am sure somebody can improve on this

Last edited:

1. What is the chemical formula for lead sulfate (PbSO4)?

The chemical formula for lead sulfate is PbSO4, which indicates that it is composed of one lead atom, one sulfur atom, and four oxygen atoms.

2. What factors affect the solubility of PbSO4?

The solubility of PbSO4 is affected by the temperature, pH, and presence of other ions in the solution. Generally, higher temperatures and lower pH levels increase the solubility of PbSO4, while the presence of other ions can either increase or decrease its solubility depending on their charges and concentrations.

3. Why is PbSO4 considered insoluble?

PbSO4 is considered insoluble because it has a low solubility in water, meaning that only a small amount of it can dissolve in a given amount of water. This is due to the strong ionic bonds between the lead and sulfate ions, which make it difficult for them to separate and dissolve in water.

4. How can the solubility of PbSO4 be increased?

The solubility of PbSO4 can be increased by increasing the temperature, decreasing the pH, or adding a complexing agent that can bind to the lead ions and prevent them from forming insoluble compounds. Additionally, using a polar solvent such as water or an acid can also help to increase the solubility of PbSO4.

5. What are the applications of studying the solubility of PbSO4?

Studying the solubility of PbSO4 is important in various fields such as environmental science, chemistry, and materials science. It can help in understanding the behavior of lead compounds in different environments, predicting the formation of lead-containing minerals, and developing methods for removing lead from contaminated water sources.