1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to a complex cubic equations

1. Dec 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equation ## z^3 + 6z = 20 ## (this was considered by Cardan in Ars
    magna).

2. Relevant equations

Please see the 2nd attachement.

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to know if my solution is correct because the book (2nd attachment) says that there should only be 3 distinct solutions. I get 4 distinct solutions. My method is also slightly different from the book because I dont understand v and v1 etc...

Please explain to me how to solve cubic equations by the method explained in this attachment only. I don't want to solve this by euler's or any other method.

For my attempt please see the 1st attachment

Danke...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A cubic can have at most three distinct solutions. I looked at your work, but it is so small, and the written part is so faint that I couldn't read it. It would be better to post the actual work as text here rather than as an image, especially one that is illegible.

4. Dec 29, 2014 #3
    I have rewritten the first attachement in latex format below.

## z^3 + 6Z = 20 ##

Notice carefully! this equation is already in the form ## z^3 + 3bZ - C = 0 ## so the first substitution of ## P(z - a/3) ## as given in the text in the 2nd attachemtn is not necssary.

3bZ = 6Z
    b = 2

## (Z - 2/Z)^3 + 6(Z - 2/Z) - 20 = 0 ##

## (Z^2 - 4 + 4/Z^2)(Z - 2/Z) + 6Z - 12/Z - 20 = 0 ##

after cancelling some terms

## Z^3 - 8/Z^3 - 20 = 0 ##

substituting
    ## y = Z^3 ##

## y^2 - 8 - 20y = 0 ##
    solving the quadratic equation gives 20.392 or -0.392305
    ## y = 20.392 or -0.392305 ##

To find the original Z in the equation ## z^3 + 6Z = 20 ##
    we must undo the substitution ## p(z - b/z) ##

so ## 20.392 = Z - 2/Z ##
    solving this quadratic gives Z = 20.4896 or -0.09761044

so ## -0.392305 = Z - 2/Z ##
    solving this quadratic gives Z = -1.62390451 or 1.2316

so there are 4 solutions for Z?

Attached Files:

5. Dec 29, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Theorem (The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra): a non-constant polynomial of degree ##n## has at most ##n## (complex) roots; if we count "multiplicity", it has exactly ##n## roots.

See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_algebra

The hardest part of the theorem is the proof that a polynomial has at least one root. After that, the rest is easy, if we use a Factorization Lemma:
    If ##r## is a root of a polynomial ##p(x)## of degree ##n > 1##, then ##p(x)## is of the form ##p(x) = (x-r) q(x)##, where ##q(x)## is a polynomial of degree ##n-1##.

So, NO: your polynomial does not have 4 distinct roots.

6. Dec 29, 2014 #5
    So can you point me where I am wrong and give me the solution!!!

7. Dec 29, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why haven't you taken your 3 or 4 solutions for Z and plugged them back into the original equation, to see if these are actually solutions?

8. Dec 30, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I will point out your error but will not give you the complete solution.

You want to solve an equation ##p(x) = 0##. You set ##x = Z - 2/Z##, so your equation becomes ##p(Z - 2/Z) = 0##. You find that the function ##Q(Z) = p(Z - 2/Z)## is quadratic in ##Z^3##, so you can find its two roots, say ##r_1= 10 + 3 \sqrt{3} \doteq 20.39230485## and ##r_2= 10 - 6 \sqrt{3} \doteq -0.39230485##.

After this point you make serious errors: you say that you must solve ##Z - 2/Z = r_1## and ##Z - 2/Z = r_2##, but this is not true. Your roots ##r_1, r_2## are values of ##Z^3##, so you need to solve ##Z^3 = r_1## and ##Z^3 = r_2##. That will give you 6 values of ##Z##; two of these are real and the other 4 are complex numbers.

Now find ##x## from ##x = Z - 2/Z##. If you proceed carefully you will find that the seemingly 6 separate values of ##x## (corresponding to the 6 values of ##Z##) actually collapse into 3 distinct values, each of which is duplicated twice. One of the ##x##-values is real and the other two are complex.

Basically, the same type of thing happens for any cubic equation, not just for your special one.

9. Dec 30, 2014 #8
    Hey Ray Vickson, Thanks a lot man!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted