1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Solutions of wave equation but not Maxwell equations

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    Maxwell equation in absence of charges and currents are

$$\nabla \cdot \bf{E} = 0 \\ \nabla\cdot B=0 \\ \nabla \times E=-\frac{\partial B}{\partial t} \\\nabla \times B=\mu \epsilon \frac{\partial E}{\partial t}$$

Wave equation is $$\nabla ^2 \bf{E}=\mu \epsilon \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2}\tag{1}$$

How can I prove that, given a solution ##\bf{E}## that satisfies both Maxwell equations and ##(1)##, then the vector ##\bf{E+E'}## where ##\bf{}{}E'## is a vector such that ##\nabla \times \bf{}{}E'=0## (and ##\nabla \cdot E \bf{}##) is a solution of ##(1)##?

As I found explained here https://www.photonics.ethz.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Courses/EM_FieldsAndWaves/WaveEquation.pdf,

Can anyone provide a proof of the fact that a non divergence free (but irrotational) vector can be solution of wave equation without being solution of maxwell equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi crick,

Perhaps we can use the following calculation rule?
    $$\nabla\times(\nabla\times f)=\nabla(\nabla\cdot f)-\nabla^2 f$$

And how about:
    $$E=(x^2+c^2t^2)\mathbf{\hat x}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted