Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Solutions of wave equation but not Maxwell equations

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    Maxwell equation in absence of charges and currents are

$$\nabla \cdot \bf{E} = 0 \\ \nabla\cdot B=0 \\ \nabla \times E=-\frac{\partial B}{\partial t} \\\nabla \times B=\mu \epsilon \frac{\partial E}{\partial t}$$

Wave equation is $$\nabla ^2 \bf{E}=\mu \epsilon \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2}\tag{1}$$

How can I prove that, given a solution ##\bf{E}## that satisfies both Maxwell equations and ##(1)##, then the vector ##\bf{E+E'}## where ##\bf{}{}E'## is a vector such that ##\nabla \times \bf{}{}E'=0## (and ##\nabla \cdot E \bf{}##) is a solution of ##(1)##?

As I found explained here https://www.photonics.ethz.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Courses/EM_FieldsAndWaves/WaveEquation.pdf,

Can anyone provide a proof of the fact that a non divergence free (but irrotational) vector can be solution of wave equation without being solution of maxwell equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi crick,

Perhaps we can use the following calculation rule?
    $$\nabla\times(\nabla\times f)=\nabla(\nabla\cdot f)-\nabla^2 f$$

And how about:
    $$E=(x^2+c^2t^2)\mathbf{\hat x}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted