1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve a differential equation for the initial conditions,

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve y' = (y^3)(t^2) for the initial condition y(0)=0 and state in which interval in 't' this solution exists.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I divided both sides by y^3 and then subtracted t^2 from each as well,

-t^2 + y'(y^-3) = 0

then solved,

(-t^3)/3 + (y^-2)/-2 = C

and then uh oh for y = 0 so chugging ahead and leaving 'C' alone for now,

y^-2 = (C + (t^3)/3)/-2

so,

y = [-2/(C+(t^3)/3)]^(1/2)

Therefore (C + (t^3)/3) ≤ 0

I am sure (as usual) I am missing something simple :P

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2
    I cannot follow this. According to the question, y is zero when t is zero. What do you get for C?

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

For [itex]y(0) \neq 0[/itex] it is the case that the solution only exists when [itex]3C + t^3 < 0[/itex]. But for [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex] that method doesn't work at all. And in fact [itex]y(t) = 0[/itex] is a solution of [itex]y' = y^3t^2[/itex] which satisfies [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex].

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4
    Sorry, let me explain where I am coming from. We have,

(-t^3)/3 + (y^-2)/-2 = C

With the (1/-2y^2) term I get infinity for 'C'. That's my sticking point, so obviously I',ve goofed this up and there is another way to solve for 'C'?

6. Sep 29, 2013 #5
    I'm sorry but I am not quite following what you are saying. Should I not solve for the general form?

7. Sep 29, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

You've done that, and shown that there is no choice of C for which y(0) = 0. At that point you need to find another approach.

In any event, if you have the initial condition [itex]y(0) = D[/itex], and it is obvious on inspection that [itex]y' = 0[/itex] when [itex]y = D[/itex], then the solution is [itex]y(t) = D[/itex] and you can save yourself some work.

8. Sep 29, 2013 #7
    It's the not working in the general form that is bothering me but I think I have this one figured out.
    Here is what I sent to my Professor,

I feel satisfied with this although I also like the explanation I just saw from the Professor.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. Sep 29, 2013 #8
    Edit:

What (s)he was trying to state is that y = 0 is an equilibrium solution of the differential equation. What would this imply about the equation?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. Sep 30, 2013 #9
    I understand what they were getting at now, ignoring that we didn't have a solution for the general form in order to pursue the differential equation is where I was getting stuck. Both are solved at this point so I am satisfied unless someone else has something to add?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted