Solve Equation $\sqrt[3]{a-1}+\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{a+1}=0$ in Real Numbers

In summary, the equation $\sqrt[3]{a-1}+\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{a+1}=0$ has only one solution in real numbers, which is $a=0$. This can be found using a method that involves simplifying the equation and solving for $a$ using basic algebraic operations.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Solve in real numbers the equation $\sqrt[3]{a-1}+\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{a+1}=0$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Solve in real numbers the equation $\sqrt[3]{a-1}+\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{a+1}=0$

using

x+y+z=0=>$x^3+y^3+x^3 = 3xyz$

we get

$(3a)^3 = 3a(a^2-1)$
a= 0 or +/-$\sqrt(1/8)$

kaliprasad said:
using

x+y+z=0=>$x^3+y^3+x^3 = 3xyz$

we get

$(3a)^3 = 3a(a^2-1)$
a= 0 or +/-$\sqrt(1/8)$
Neat method, but I get a different answer.

[sp]From $3a = 3\sqrt[3]{a(a^2-1)}$, I get $a^3 = a(a^2-1)$, with $a=0$ the only solution.[/sp]

Opalg said:
Neat method, but I get a different answer.

[sp]From $3a = 3\sqrt[3]{a(a^2-1)}$, I get $a^3 = a(a^2-1)$, with $a=0$ the only solution.[/sp]

There was a calculation mistake in my method

Thanks to both of you for participating and yes, $a=0$ is the only answer to the problem.:)

Related to Solve Equation $\sqrt[3]{a-1}+\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{a+1}=0$ in Real Numbers

What is the equation asking to solve?

The equation is asking to solve for the value of "a" that would make the sum of the three cube roots equal to zero.

What are the possible solutions for this equation?

There are two possible solutions for this equation in real numbers: a=-1 and a=1.

How can I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use the properties of cube roots to rewrite it as (a-1)^(1/3) + (a)^(1/3) + (a+1)^(1/3) = 0. Then, you can use a substitution method or trial and error to find the possible values of "a" that would make the equation equal to zero.

Are there any other methods to solve this equation?

Yes, you can also graph the equation and find the x-intercepts, which would give you the solutions for "a". Additionally, you can use a calculator or a computer program to solve for the solutions numerically.

What is the significance of solving this equation?

Solving this equation can help in finding the values of "a" that would satisfy the given expression, which can be useful in solving other mathematical problems or in understanding the behavior of the given equation. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and deepening the understanding of algebraic concepts.