Solve Exponential Equations: e^x, e^-x, ln 6 | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Philoctetes3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, The conversation is about solving the equation e^x + e^-x = 6 and making sure the process is done correctly. The fourth line is incorrect and should be rearranged to e^(2x) - 6e^x + 1 = 0. The equation is quadratic in form and can be solved using the quadratic formula.
Philoctetes3
I just want to make sure that I have this in the correct order. The book I have is very unclear.

e^x + e^-x = 6
e^x + 1/e^x = 6
e^2x + 1 = 6e^x
e^2x/e^x + 1 = 6
x = ln 6

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've made a mistake. The fourth line doesn't follow from the third. It looks like you tried to divide by e^x (which is actually just undoing what you did in going from line 2 to 3), but you forgot to divide the 1 by e^x.

What you should do is rearrange your third line so that it looks like

e^(2x) - 6e^x + 1 = 0.

Does this look like a familar sort of equation? (If not, let y = e^x. Then does it look familar?)

Thanks a lot. I thought something looked off. The thing that worried me is that the answer that I got is quite approximate, and I wanted to make sure that I was doing the process correctly, which I wasn't.

Then after this I would simply do the U form of the quadratic, correct?

Yes, the equation is quadratic in form, so a substitution will make it a quadratic, which you can solve using the quadratic formula.

Related to Solve Exponential Equations: e^x, e^-x, ln 6 | Step-by-Step Guide

What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in which the variable appears in the exponent. It is typically written in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

What is e in exponential equations?

e is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is commonly used as the base for natural logarithms and is used in many exponential growth and decay equations.

How do you solve an exponential equation with e as the base?

To solve an exponential equation with e as the base, you can use the natural logarithm (ln) function. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation to remove the exponent and then solve for the variable. Remember to check for extraneous solutions.

How do you solve an exponential equation with e as the base and a negative exponent?

To solve an exponential equation with e as the base and a negative exponent, you can use the reciprocal property of exponents. Rewrite the equation as e^-x = 1/e^x and then use the natural logarithm function to solve for x.

What is the step-by-step process for solving exponential equations with e as the base?

The step-by-step process for solving exponential equations with e as the base is as follows:

1. Isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation.
  2. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation.
  3. Simplify using logarithm rules.
  4. Solve for the variable.
  5. Check for extraneous solutions by plugging the solution back into the original equation.