Solving for d in ((a+b)^n)-(a^n+b^n) - ((c+d)^n)-(c^n+d^n)

• Thread starter eddybob123
  • Start date
In summary, there is no general solution for finding the value of d in the equation (((a+b)^n)-(a^n+b^n))-(((c+d)^n)-(c^n+d^n))=d, as it is a polynomial equation in multiple variables and has been proven to not have a neat solution. One possible approach is to use the summation definition of a binomial and subtract the first and last terms, but this will only yield a solution for specific values of n. Additionally, the highest expected value of d with relation to a, b, c, and n is not known, as it would require finding the greatest possible terms in the equation.
eddybob123
Hi, I need help solving this equation, get d on one side of the equal sign:

(((a+b)^n)-(a^n+b^n))-(((c+d)^n)-(c^n+d^n))=d
Thanks in advance. I don't know how to use the fancy code thing

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To make it easier: [itex](a+b)^n-(a^n+b^n)-(c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n)=d[/itex]

Not sure how to go about it though, I'd try isolating all the terms with d to begin with. Then maybe you could use logs to simplify it? I'll have to work though this.

Vorde said:
To make it easier: [itex](a+b)^n-(a^n+b^n)-(c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n)=d[/itex]

Not sure how to go about it though, I'd try isolating all the terms with d to begin with. Then maybe you could use logs to simplify it? I'll have to work though this.

Before you start though, your (c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n) is supposed to be ((c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n))

A possible first step is to simplify (a+b)^n - (a^n + b^n) as (a+b)^(n-1). Likewise with the c and d terms.

eddybob123 said:
Before you start though, your (c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n) is supposed to be ((c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n))

Would it make a difference?

sin2beta said:
A possible first step is to simplify (a+b)^n - (a^n + b^n) as (a+b)^(n-1). Likewise with the c and d terms.

That doesn't simplify like that, right? Can someone reinforce that for me though?

Vorde said:
Would it make a difference?

Yes, because of the subtraction before the left most parentheses.

Vorde said:
That doesn't simplify like that, right? Can someone reinforce that for me though?

No it shouldn't. I don't know what I was doing. There will be coefficients on those two terms in the binomial theorem that need to be taken care of. Disregard my previous post.

sin2beta said:
A possible first step is to simplify (a+b)^n - (a^n + b^n) as (a+b)^(n-1)

Looks to me like [itex](a+b)^n - (a^n + b^n)[/itex] is just a constant and there is no need to simplify it - call it a' or something.

I think n is supposed to be a variable.

n is an integer that is greater than 2. Actually, all of a,b,c, and d should be greater than 2. Is it really that tough of an algebra question?

Note that for the message below, I assume you meant to isolate d on one side of the equals sign, from the following equality:

[tex](a+b)^n-(a^n+b^n)-((c+d)^n-(c^n+d^n))=0[/tex]Just take the d^n out of the one side of the equation, and take the nth root of both sides. You end up with:

[tex]d=\sqrt[n]{{\left( d+c\right) }^{n}-{c}^{n}-{\left( b+a\right) }^{n}+{b}^{n}+{a}^{n}}[/tex]

Of course, if you want to entirely remove d from the one side (under the radical above), you'd probably need to calculate for specific n.

For example, solved in maxima... lazily ;), with n equal to 3:

[tex] d=-\frac{\sqrt{{c}^{4}+\left( 4\,a\,{b}^{2}+4\,{a}^{2}\,b\right) \,c}+{c}^{2}}{2\,c}[/tex]
...or...
[tex]d=\frac{\sqrt{{c}^{4}+\left( 4\,a\,{b}^{2}+4\,{a}^{2}\,b\right) \,c}-{c}^{2}}{2\,c} [/tex]

Keep in mind that it gets crazy complicated as you increase powers of n.

Last edited:
Indeed, this looks in general to be an (n-1)th order equation in d. No general solution in terms of radicals exists for [itex] n \geq 6 [/itex].

Matt, I mean to solve the equation on the first post for d, with relation to the variables a,b,c, and n, not just specific values.
I might use the binomial theorem, but I don't know how. Please help me.

eddybob123 said:
Matt, I mean to solve the equation on the first post for d, with relation to the variables a,b,c, and n, not just specific values.

As Nabeshin wrote there are no general solutions for finding roots of polynomials of degree higher than 5 (as long as you are looking for a way of expressing them using addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and roots of any degree; this has been proven almost 200 years ago). So it is quite likely that the problem can be solved for some small n, but there is no general solution that you are looking for.

There is always a small chance it is possible to use some fancy trick to simplify the equation, but I would not hold my breath.

But, from what I know, it should be possible. Even humans have dealt with higher power equations, so this shouldn't be much more different.
I think I would use the summation definition of a binomial, then subtract the first and last terms, which are a^n and b^n, and c^n and d^n. This will leave us with the summation starting at 1 and ending at n-1.

eddybob123 said:
But, from what I know, it should be possible. Even humans have dealt with higher power equations, so this shouldn't be much more different.
I think I would use the summation definition of a binomial, then subtract the first and last terms, which are a^n and b^n, and c^n and d^n. This will leave us with the summation starting at 1 and ending at n-1.

No. It has been proven that most polynomial equations can not be solved. This is a polynomial equation in multiple variables even. So I wouldn't expect a neat solution.

Then let me ask you this question: what is the highest expected value d with relation to a,b,c, and n. Let me define this more precisely. The highest power of a binomial will determine its greatest value, so the terms ((a+b)^n)-(a^n +b^n) must be greatest possible, so a and b are fairly close together. Likewise, the c and d terms of the left side must be least possible, so c and d have to be furthest apart.

eddybob123 said:
Then let me ask you this question: what is the highest expected value d with relation to a,b,c, and n. Let me define this more precisely. The highest power of a binomial will determine its greatest value, so the terms ((a+b)^n)-(a^n +b^n) must be greatest possible, so a and b are fairly close together. Likewise, the c and d terms of the left side must be least possible, so c and d have to be furthest apart.
If you want the largest d for a given a, b, and n, then, yes, just make c as small as is allowed. If that makes it much smaller than a and b (hence much smaller than d) then you can approximate (c+d)n - (cn + dn) as ncdn-1.

Since d^n disappears, the remaining term of highest power is d^(n-1).
It is known that analytical solutions of polynomial equations are possible up to power 4.
So, your equation is analytically solvable up to n=5 (inclusive)
In case of n>5, you have to use numerical computation in order to obtain approximate values for the solutions.

1. What is the purpose of solving for d in this equation?

The purpose of solving for d in this equation is to find the value of d that makes the equation true. This is important in many scientific experiments and calculations, as it allows for accurate and precise results.

2. How do you solve for d in this equation?

To solve for d in this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and the laws of exponents. First, simplify the equation by expanding the binomials and combining like terms. Then, use the distributive property to factor out the common terms. Finally, isolate the term with d and solve for its value.

3. Can this equation be solved for multiple values of d?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions for d. Since there are multiple variables and exponents involved, it is possible for there to be more than one value of d that satisfies the equation. This is why it is important to check your answer and make sure it works in the original equation.

4. Is there a specific method or formula for solving this type of equation?

Yes, there are specific methods and formulas for solving equations with multiple variables and exponents. These often involve using algebraic techniques such as factoring, distributing, and isolating variables. It is important to have a strong understanding of these methods in order to solve equations accurately and efficiently.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving equations like this?

Solving equations with multiple variables and exponents is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to calculate forces, determine reaction rates, and solve complex mathematical models. It is also important in data analysis and statistical calculations.