Solve for the total Kinetic Energy change with unknowns

In summary: Let's start by defining our variables:mp = Paula's massmd = Dave's massvp = Paula's velocity before impact (since she's stationary, vp = 0)vd = Dave's velocity before impactvpd = velocity of Paula and Dave together after impactmpd = total mass of Paula and Dave togetherWe know from the problem that Dave has twice the mass of Paula, so we can write that as:md = 2mpWe also know that momentum is conserved, so we can write:mpvp + mdvd = mpdvpdSince Paula is initially stationary, we can simplify this to:mdvd = mpdvpdNext, let's look at
Balti
Homework Statement
Dave and Paula are outside, playing upon frictionless ice provided by their physics teacher. Paula is stationary when Dave, sliding with velocity v suddenly crashes into her. They move off together. Dave has twice the mass of Paula. What percentage of the initial kinetic energy remains after the collision? Give your answer to two significant figures.
Relevant Equations
##E_k=\frac 1 2 (m)(v^2)##
I suppose
Firstly I tried defining into an equation to make the whole thing more 'tangible'.

##m_1= Paula's~Weight⋅2 = m_p⋅2##

##m_2= \frac {Dave's~weight}{2} = \frac {m_d}{2}##

Before impact
##E_k1= \frac 1 2 (m_p⋅2)(0^2)##
##E_k1= \frac 1 2 (2m_p)##
##E_k1= m_p ##

After Impact
##E_k2= \frac 1 2 (\frac {m_d} {2}) (v^2)##
##E_k2= ({m_d}) (v^2)##
And I guess
##E_k2=({m_d}) (v^2) ({m_p})##

And as I'm told we find the change of kinetic energy by
##ΔE_k={E_k2}-{E_k1}##
And then I get stuck. Provided, it is 2 am and I am dead exhausted.I don't want an answer, I just want a direction to go in. I was never really good with having a few variables and you figure it out with formula manipulation. I don't know, just not really my thing.

Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Balti said:

What are m1 and m2, if not the respective masses?

Keep you notation simple so you know to whom each energy or mass or velocity refers to. Use d for Dave and p for Paula and pd for their combined parameters no need for using 1 and 2.

Right off bat you got things confused; read the problem carefully.

Paula's mass = mp;
Dave's mass = md = 2mp
vp = 0

Thus Ep =0

mpd = ?
vpd = ?

Balti said:
Homework Statement: Dave and Paula are outside, playing upon frictionless ice provided by their physics teacher. Paula is stationary when Dave, sliding with velocity v suddenly crashes into her. They move off together. Dave has twice the mass of Paula. What percentage of the initial kinetic energy remains after the collision? Give your answer to two significant figures.
Homework Equations: ##E_k=\frac 1 2 (m)(v^2)##
I suppose

Firstly I tried defining into an equation to make the whole thing more 'tangible'.

Before impact
##E_k1= \frac 1 2 (m_p⋅2)(0^2)##
##E_k1= \frac 1 2 (2m_p)##
##E_k1= m_p ##

After Impact
##E_k2= \frac 1 2 (\frac {m_d} {2}) (v^2)##
##E_k2= ({m_d}) (v^2)##
And I guess
##E_k2=({m_d}) (v^2) ({m_p})##

And as I'm told we find the change of kinetic energy by
##ΔE_k={E_k2}-{E_k1}##
And then I get stuck. Provided, it is 2 am and I am dead exhausted.I don't want an answer, I just want a direction to go in. I was never really good with having a few variables and you figure it out with formula manipulation. I don't know, just not really my thing.

Any help?

1) As others have said, sort out your notation.

2) Energy is not conserved.

3) What is conserved?

Balti said:
I don't want an answer, I just want a direction to go in

Then pick some numbers and work it out that way first. That is, choose values for Paula's mass, Dave's mass, and the speed ##v##. See if you can get an answer that way.

Ah, I see. You god damn geniuses.

The reason I ask this is that I've come across questions like this before that seem unsolvable. But are really not, they sometimes give you actual answers. So I'm just wary about picking random values. I have to go learn conservation of energy and the like. I know for a fact that Kinetic Energy is not conserved, because the collision is inelastic. Should I then use ##E_k=\frac {p^2}{2m}## formula to try to solve it?

Likes neilparker62
Balti said:
So I'm just wary about picking random values.
Okay, so now you have a choice. Do something that you were advised to do even though you're wary of it, or just ignore the advice.

Balti said:
Ah, I see. You god damn geniuses.

The reason I ask this is that I've come across questions like this before that seem unsolvable. But are really not, they sometimes give you actual answers. So I'm just wary about picking random values. I have to go learn conservation of energy and the like. I know for a fact that Kinetic Energy is not conserved, because the collision is inelastic. Should I then use ##E_k=\frac {p^2}{2m}## formula to try to solve it?
Good idea. Since momentum is conserved it will be the same in the expressions for your KE before and KE after.

Balti said:
wary about picking random values.
I share your caution. Much better is to insert unknowns, as you did in post #1, but the way you inserted them made no sense.
If you write Paula's mass as mp and Dave's as md then you have no need to invent m1 and m2 as well. Just write the equation relating mp and md that represents the statement "Dave has twice the mass of Paula".

neilparker62 said:
Good idea. Since momentum is conserved it will be the same in the expressions for your KE before and KE after.
I am new to maths entirely (as in I spent June-July learning all of Algebra), so would I do ##E_k1 = E_k2##? Or just stick to what I did up in my original post?

Balti said:
I am new to maths entirely (as in I spent June-July learning all of Algebra), so would I do ##E_k1 = E_k2##? Or just stick to what I did up in my original post?
No, energy is not conserved. You are asked to find how much is lost.
What you have to use here is conservation of momentum. Can you write expressions for the total momentum before and after collision?

haruspex said:
No, energy is not conserved. You are asked to find how much is lost.
What you have to use here is conservation of momentum. Can you write expressions for the total momentum before and after collision?

Yep. That's what I did and I ended up with an actual answer to my surprise. It's fascinating how you can have so little information and still deduct something from a system.

First, I realized that the end result is a compound of the two ##E_k##, so I wrote out.
## \frac 1 2 {(2m)}{(v^2)} = \frac 1 2 {(m)}{(v^2)} + \frac 1 2 {(2m)}{(v^2)}##
Then the rest is simple maths, and I ended up with the amount of Kinetic Energy retained to be 66.67%

Thank you all so much

Balti said:
Yep. That's what I did and I ended up with an actual answer to my surprise. It's fascinating how you can have so little information and still deduct something from a system.

First, I realized that the end result is a compound of the two ##E_k##, so I wrote out.
## \frac 1 2 {(2m)}{(v^2)} = \frac 1 2 {(m)}{(v^2)} + \frac 1 2 {(2m)}{(v^2)}##
Then the rest is simple maths, and I ended up with the amount of Kinetic Energy retained to be 66.67%

Thank you all so much
Which speed does the variable, ##v##, represent?

From a strictly mathematical viewpoint, that is an inconsistent equation. The left-hand side is clearly not equal to the right-hand side (unless ##v=0## or ##m=0##).

If you mean that the left-hand is the initial K.E. and the right-hand side is the final K.E., as separate statements, with no equality involved between the two sides, then this also leads to an incorrect result. Why? Because that gives 3/2 as the ratio of final K.E. to initial K.E. It does not give 2/3 as the ratio.

Yes, the initial K.E. is given by ## \dfrac 1 2 {(2m)}{(v_{Dave}^2)}##, where ##2m## is Dave's mass and ##v_{Dave}## is his initial speed.

And, the final K.E. is given by ## \dfrac 1 2 {(m)}{(v_{Both}^2)} + \dfrac 1 2 {(2m)}{(v_{Both}^2)} ##.

Use conservation of momentum to find the relationship between ##v_{Dave}## and ##v_{Both}##.

1. How do I solve for the total Kinetic Energy change with unknowns?

To solve for the total Kinetic Energy change with unknowns, you will need to use the formula: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. This formula represents the total Kinetic Energy, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. You will need to substitute the given values for mass and velocity to solve for the total Kinetic Energy change.

2. What is the unit of measurement for Kinetic Energy?

The unit of measurement for Kinetic Energy is Joules (J). This unit is derived from the basic SI units of mass (kilograms) and velocity (meters per second). Other common units for Kinetic Energy include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calorie (cal).

3. Can the total Kinetic Energy change be negative?

Yes, the total Kinetic Energy change can be negative. This occurs when the object's velocity decreases, resulting in a negative value for the total Kinetic Energy change. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the velocity when solving for Kinetic Energy change.

4. What happens to the total Kinetic Energy change when the mass increases but the velocity remains constant?

If the mass increases while the velocity remains constant, the total Kinetic Energy change will also increase. This is because the formula for Kinetic Energy is directly proportional to the mass. This means that as the mass increases, the total Kinetic Energy change will also increase.

5. How does Kinetic Energy change affect an object's motion?

Kinetic Energy change is directly related to an object's motion. When an object's Kinetic Energy increases, its motion will also increase. This is because Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Conversely, if an object's Kinetic Energy decreases, its motion will also decrease.