1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for x between 0 , and 2pi the next equation?

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    Solve for x between 0 , and 2pi the next equation?

cos x + square root(3) sinx = square root(2)

sin(x+ (pi/6)) = 1/sqrt2 <-- but then I dont know what to do this what I think should do, but Im not sure how to solve x help me thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Re: Trigonometry

You need to present your homework using the homework template where you state the problem, show some relevant formula that you might use to solve it and show an attempt.

I don't see how you got the sin(x+pi/6)=1/sqr(2) result from your original equation.

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3

Mark44

So sin(x + π/6) = √2/2

Can you solve sin(u) = √2/2?

You've done all the hard work. The rest is easy.

5. Dec 12, 2012 #4

Im really confused I dont even know any relevant formula I just tried to move the x

6. Dec 12, 2012 #5

is this right? because somebody said early before that I was wrong... sin (u) = 0.707 ?

7. Dec 12, 2012 #6

Mark44

Good advice. luigihs, the template is there for a reason - don't just blow it away...
    He divided both sides of the equation by 2 to get (1/2)sin(x) + (√3/2)cos(x) = √2/2, and then replaced 1/2 by cos(π/6) and √3/2 by sin(π/6). It would have been helpful if he had shown his steps.

8. Dec 12, 2012 #7

Sorry for what is the answer 0.707 ? I dunno how to do the operation

9. Dec 12, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

Thanks I didn't see that. I kept thinking to square both sides but then I was still left with a puzzle. Its been a long time since I played with trig problems.

10. Dec 13, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@ luigihs,

If [itex]\displaystyle \ \sin(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\,,\ [/itex] then what is θ ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook