Solve Fractional Exponents: Logic Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the logic behind exponentiation and the notation for inverse exponentiation. The notation x^n is defined as x multiplied by itself n times, while x^{1/n} is defined as the number y such that y^n = x. The conversation also provides examples with numbers and mentions that calculating these by hand is not recommended.
goodabouthood
Can someone explain the logic behind this?

For instance if 2 to the 3rd power = 2 x 2 x 2 =8

So 2 to the 3rd power is telling me I have 2 multiplied by itself 3 times.

Now how would I solve for 2 to the 1/3rd power? It is telling me I have 2 multiplied by itself 1/3 times but how do you solve this?

Can you show me how you would work that out?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a positive number, x, and a positive integer, n, we define the notation
[tex]x^n := x \cdot x \cdot \ldots x[/tex]
where there are n number of multiplications. Just as subtraction inverts addition, and division inverts multiplication, we want a notation that inverts exponentiation. We define
[tex]x^{1/n} := \sqrt[n]{x}[/tex]
In words, the notation [itex]x^{1/n}[/itex] means "find the number, y, such that yn = x".

And that's the "logic". We are free to define notation in any way we want. That's it.

As to why we do this, you can prove that [itex](\sqrt[n]{x})^m = (x^{1/n})^m = (x^m)^{1/n} = \sqrt[n]{x^m}[/itex]. So it behaves like "multiplying" the exponents together.

I still feel a bit lost. Any chance you can provide an example with numbers?

Well, its better to stick to integers, as the calculations are clearer.

The notation 81/3 means find y, such that we solve y3 = 8. Namely the answer is 2. 2 times 2 times 2 is 8. As you noted.
Observe that we have
[tex]2^3 = 8[/tex]
[tex](2^3)^{1/3} = 8^{1/3}[/tex]
[tex]2^{3 \times 1/3} = 8^{1/3}[/tex]
[tex]2 = 8^{1/3}[/tex]
after I write the equation right to left. So we are inverting equations.

Similarly, 10866832384811/4 = 1021 because
1021 times 1021 times 1021 times 1021 = 1086683238481.

Suppose now we wanted 21/2, which is find y such that y2 = 2. It's the square root of 2. We know that 12 = 1 < 2 <4 = 22. So y is strictly between 1 and 2. It turns out that this number is not a fraction either. Its approximately 1.41421356... never terminating or repeating. A mathematician would simply write [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] rather than be bothered to calculate what that number is.

Actually calculating these things by hand is not recommended. Either you memorize a lot of tables, learn how to use log tables, or use a calculator. Or learn some algorithms and spend a lot of time.

I think my real question is how do you find y to the power of 3 = 8 without intuitively knowing it?

1. What are fractional exponents?

Fractional exponents are a way of representing powers or roots of numbers that are not whole numbers. They are written in the form of a fraction, where the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root.

2. How do you solve equations with fractional exponents?

To solve equations with fractional exponents, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the expression. First, rewrite the fractional exponent as a radical, then use the properties of radicals to simplify the expression. Finally, solve for the variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

3. Can fractional exponents be negative?

Yes, fractional exponents can be negative. A negative fractional exponent represents the reciprocal of the number raised to the positive version of the exponent. For example, -1/23 is the same as 1/23.

4. How do you simplify expressions with fractional exponents?

To simplify expressions with fractional exponents, use the rules of exponents to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. For example, 1/39 can be written as 1/33 and then simplified to 1/9.

5. What are some real-world applications of fractional exponents?

Fractional exponents are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to calculate compound interest, model population growth, and solve problems related to electricity and magnetism. They are also used in computer programming to calculate complex algorithms and in statistics to analyze data.