1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve Initial Value Problem and Determining Interval

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the initial value problem and determine at least approximately where the solution is valid

(2x-y) + (2y-x)y' = 0
    y(1) = 3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to solve it, and I got the correct answer, which was:

7 = x^2 - yx + y^2
    and then applying the quadratic formula

x+sqrt(28 - 3x^2) / (2)

However, I have trouble determining where the solution is valid. I understand that to find it you set 28 - 3x^2 = 0, and then solve for x (which comes out to x = +/- sqrt(28/3). However, the answers in the back of the book say that the interval of validity is IxI < sqrt(28/3). Can anyone explain how this is derived? Why is it x < sqrt(28/3)?

Also, could someone please explain to me how to find the interval of validity in general?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Actually, the solution is ##y = \frac x 2 \pm \frac{\sqrt{28 - 3x^2}}{2}##
    IOW, there are two solutions for y in terms of x. Due to the initial condition, y(1) = 3, you choose the pos. square root above.
    In order for y to be real, the quantity under the radical has to be nonnegative, so you need to solve the quadratic inequality ##28 - 3x^2 \ge 0##. Solving this results in ##|x| \le \sqrt{28/3}##, which is slightly different from what you report is the book's answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted