Where is a solution valid in an initial value problem?

In summary, the conversation was about an initial value problem from Adam's Calculus (7th Ed), which was solved by finding the solution y=-3/x+2x+7/2. The book mentioned that the solution is only valid for the interval (-\infty,0) due to the largest interval that contains the initial point -2 but not the point x=0. This is because the function is not differentiable for all x except 0 and to ensure unique solutions, the domain must sometimes be restricted. The conversation also touched on the interpretation of the solution and the importance of specifying the value of y at some point x_0 > 0. The conversation concluded with a general rule for solving ODEs with
Akitirija
The problem is from Adam's Calculus (7th Ed). It is an initial value problem, and I solved it:
[itex]
\begin{cases}
y'=\frac{3+2x^{2}}{x^{2}} \\
y(-2)=1
\end{cases} \\
\implies y=-\frac{3}{x}+2x+\frac{7}{2}
[/itex]

I can see that the solution is not valid for x=0, but the book says that the solutions is only valid for the interval

[itex](-\infty,0)[/itex] because "that is the largest interval that contains the initial point -2 but not the point x=0.

I do not understand this. Why can x not be larger than 0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe because in certain points it's not differentiable. In addiction, 0 is in an open interval, that means you got to not consider that

Thank you for your answer, Domenico.

But is this function not differentiable for all x except 0?

And even if there are other points, should the book not mention these points instead of excluding the whole interval after 0?

The point in question is -2, so why should it include positive values as well? I think that's the reason

Likes 1 person
Thank you, Domenico! I'm not sure I entirely understand it, but maybe it becomes more apparent as I learn more :)

Akitirija said:
The problem is from Adam's Calculus (7th Ed). It is an initial value problem, and I solved it:
[itex]
\begin{cases}
y'=\frac{3+2x^{2}}{x^{2}} \\
y(-2)=1
\end{cases} \\
\implies y=-\frac{3}{x}+2x+\frac{7}{2}
[/itex]

I can see that the solution is not valid for x=0, but the book says that the solutions is only valid for the interval

[itex](-\infty,0)[/itex] because "that is the largest interval that contains the initial point -2 but not the point x=0.

I do not understand this. Why can x not be larger than 0?

The following function is smooth on [itex]\mathbb{R} \setminus \{0\}[/itex] for, and satisfies the initial value problem for, every [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]:
[tex]
y(x) = \begin{cases} - \tfrac{3}{x} + 2x + \tfrac72, & x < 0,\\
- \tfrac{3}{x} + 2x + C, & x > 0. \end{cases}
[/tex] It follows that the solution on [itex]\mathbb{R} \setminus \{0\}[/itex] is not unique unless you also specify the value of [itex]y[/itex] at some [itex]x_0 > 0[/itex]. Usually when solving ODEs we want unique solutions, and to do that we have sometimes to restrict the domain to a neighbourhood of the point where the initial condition is to be applied.

Also, in applications, our interpretation of this solution would be that some object reaches infinity, or some quantity becomes infinite, in finite time, which suggests a problem with our model; we can't conclude that the object subsequently reappears at the opposite end of the universe, or that the quantity subsequently becomes arbitrarily large and negative.

In general, if you're antidifferentiating a function which has singularities at a finite number of points [itex]x_1 < \dots < x_n[/itex], then you can take different constants of integration on each of the disjoint intervals [itex](-\infty, x_1)[/itex], [itex](x_1, x_2)[/itex], ..., [itex](x_{n-1}, x_n)[/itex], [itex](x_n, \infty)[/itex], and the result will be a continuous function on [itex]\mathbb{R} \setminus \{x_1, \dots, x_n\}[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you very much, pasmith! I just started studying this, so I hope I can ask you one probably very stupid question: What do you mean by "the initial condition"?

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics and physics to model real-world phenomena.

2. What is the solution to an initial value problem?

The solution to an initial value problem is a function that satisfies both the given differential equation and the initial conditions. This solution is unique and can be found using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using computer software.

3. How do you know if a solution is valid in an initial value problem?

A solution is considered valid in an initial value problem if it satisfies both the differential equation and the initial conditions. This means that when the solution is plugged into the differential equation, it should produce a true statement, and when it is evaluated at the initial conditions, it should match the given values.

4. What are the limitations of a solution in an initial value problem?

A solution in an initial value problem is only valid within a specific domain or range of values. If the function goes outside of this domain, the solution is no longer valid. Additionally, the solution may not be accurate if the initial conditions are not a good representation of the real-world situation being modeled.

5. Can an initial value problem have multiple valid solutions?

No, an initial value problem can only have one valid solution. This is because the initial conditions determine a unique solution to the given differential equation. However, different methods or techniques may result in different forms of the same solution, but they are all considered valid.