Solve Linear Programming: Find Max Value & Calculate Bounds

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to linear programming and finding the maximum value of a target function. The solution involves two tables with values for variables and constraints, which were calculated through a sensitivity analysis. The boundaries indicate how much the constraint or objective coefficients can be changed before the optimal solution shifts to another intersection. The "dual value" or shadow price is also discussed as part of the analysis.
Yankel
Hello all,

I hope I am in the right forum, I have a question regarding linear programming (optimization).

I have this target function:

\[Z=0.045X+0.06Y-2\]

subject to the following constraints:
\[X+Y\leqslant 500\]
\[X\geqslant 0.2(X+Y)\]
\[Y\geqslant 0.5(X+Y)\]
\[X\leqslant 300\]
\[Y\leqslant 300\]

\[X,Y\geq 0\]

And I have some questions related to this problem. The first one was to find the maximum value. I did this fairly easy graphically, by finding the region, looking at the "edges" and calculating values of 4 points.According to the graph the max value is at X=200 and Y=300.

Now for my question. In the solution attached to this problem, there were two tables, one for the variables X and Y and one for the constraints. In the table, there were values of LOWER BOUND and UPPER BOUND for each variable and each constraint. I do not understand where these values came from and how they were calculated.

For variable X and lower bound is 0 and the upper is 0.06. For variable Y the lower bound is 0.045 and the upper is infinity.

For constraint 1 the lower bound is 375 and the upper is 600. For constraint 2 the lower is minus infinity while the upper is 100. For constraint 3 the lower is -50 and the upper is infinity. For constraint 4 the lower is 200 and upper infinity. For constraint 5 the lower is 250 and the upper is 400.

For constraints 1 and 5 there was also something called "dual value", for con.1 it was 0.045 and for cons5. it was 0.015.

Can you please help me figure out how there values were calculated ?

thank you !

Attachments

• lp.JPG
    lp.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yankel,

Those numbers are the results of a so called Sensitivity Analysis or a What-if-analysis.
There is an option in Excel that will generate such a report.

The boundaries of the constraints indicate how far the constraint can be changed before the point of the optimal solution shifts to another intersection.

Similarly the boundaries of X and Y indicate how far the objective coefficients (0.045 resp. 0.06) can be changed before the point of the optimal solution shifts to another intersection.

Part of the analysis is also how much the target function increases when a constraint value is changed. This is your "dual value", which is also known as the Shadow Price.

What is linear programming and how does it work?

Linear programming is a mathematical method used to optimize the allocation of limited resources in order to achieve a specific objective, such as maximizing profit or minimizing costs. It involves creating a mathematical model of a problem and using a set of linear equations and inequalities to find the optimal solution.

What are the key components of a linear programming problem?

The key components of a linear programming problem are the objective function, the decision variables, and the constraints. The objective function represents the goal to be achieved, the decision variables are the quantities that need to be determined, and the constraints are the limitations or restrictions on the decision variables.

How do you solve a linear programming problem?

To solve a linear programming problem, you can use a variety of methods such as the graphical method, the simplex method, or the interior point method. These methods involve systematically evaluating the objective function at different points within the feasible region until the optimal solution is found.

What is the maximum value in linear programming and how is it calculated?

The maximum value in linear programming refers to the highest possible value that can be achieved for the objective function given the constraints. It is calculated by finding the optimal solution using one of the methods mentioned above.

How do you calculate the bounds in linear programming?

The bounds in linear programming refer to the range of values that the decision variables can take. They are calculated by analyzing the constraints and determining the minimum and maximum values that the decision variables can have without violating the constraints.