Solve Probability Problem: An Urn with 5 Black & 4 White Balls

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary: Thanks for catching that!In summary, the probability of the first ball being white, if we know that the last one was white, is $65/81$.
Yankel
An urn has 5 black balls ans 4 white balls in it. We randomly choose a ball, and return it to the urn, until we get 2 balls with the same colour. What is the probability that the first ball was white, if we know that the last one was white ? I tried building a tree, and realized that the experiment can have 2 or 3 stages, not more. The answer say 65/81, which makes no sense to me, I think it's a mistake. Can you please help me solve this problem ? I used conditional probability, with no luck.

Thanks !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
An urn has 5 black balls ans 4 white balls in it. We randomly choose a ball, and return it to the urn, until we get 2 balls with the same colour. What is the probability that the first ball was white, if we know that the last one was white ? I tried building a tree, and realized that the experiment can have 2 or 3 stages, not more. The answer say 65/81, which makes no sense to me, I think it's a mistake. Can you please help me solve this problem ? I used conditional probability, with no luck.

Thanks !

Hey Yankel! ;)

Possible outcomes that end with a white ball, are:
\begin{array}{|c|c|}
\hline
\text{Outcome} & \text{Unconditional Probability} \\
\hline
WW & \frac 4{11} \cdot \frac 3{10} \\
B\,WW & \frac 5{11} \cdot \frac4{10} \cdot \frac 3{9} \\
WB\,WW & ...\\
B\,WB\,WW \\
WB\,WB\,WW \\
B\,WB\,WB\,WW \\
\hline
\end{array}
And we're looking for:
$$P(\text{first white} \mid \text{last white}) = \frac{P(\text{first white} \wedge\text{last white})}{P(\text{last white})}$$
(Thinking)

I did not understand the experiment to end when there are two balls of the same color in a row...
This is an interesting interpretation, maybe this is my mistake. I though you could not get more than 2 W overall.

And why dividing by 11 ? There are 9 balls.

Last edited:
Yankel said:
I did not understand the experiment to end when there are two balls of the same color in a row...
This is an interesting interpretation, maybe this is my mistake. I though you could not get more than 2 W overall.

And why dividing by 11 ? There are 9 balls.

Hmm... your interpretation could well be right as well... (Thinking)
In that case, we would only have WW, WBW, and BWW.
Still, if I calculate that, I'm getting $P(\text{first white} \mid \text{last white}) = \frac {12}{17}$.

And you are quite right, the division should be by 9 instead of by 11.

Related to Solve Probability Problem: An Urn with 5 Black & 4 White Balls

1. What is the probability of picking a black ball from the urn?

The probability of picking a black ball from the urn is 5/9 or approximately 0.5556.

2. What is the probability of picking a white ball from the urn?

The probability of picking a white ball from the urn is 4/9 or approximately 0.4444.

3. If two balls are randomly picked from the urn without replacement, what is the probability of getting a black ball followed by a white ball?

The probability of getting a black ball followed by a white ball is (5/9) * (4/8) = 5/18 or approximately 0.2778.

4. If two balls are randomly picked from the urn with replacement, what is the probability of getting a black ball followed by a white ball?

The probability of getting a black ball followed by a white ball with replacement is still (5/9) * (4/9) = 5/18 or approximately 0.2778. This is because the probability of picking a black ball or a white ball remains the same for each pick, regardless of whether replacement occurs.

5. If three balls are randomly picked from the urn without replacement, what is the probability of getting two black balls and one white ball?

The probability of getting two black balls and one white ball is (5/9) * (4/8) * (3/7) = 5/42 or approximately 0.1190. This can also be written as (5C2 * 4C1) / (9C3) where C represents the combination function.