Solve Recurrence: $s_n = 2_{s_n-1} - s_{n-2}$ | Discrete Math

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an exact formula for the recursive sequence $s_n = 2_{s_n-1} - s_{n-2}$ where $n \ge 2$, and $s_0 = 4$, $s_1 = 1$. The solution involves finding the characteristic root, which is $r=1$, and using initial conditions to determine the values of the parameters. The closed-form for the sequence is $s_n=c_1+c_2n$.
shamieh
Derive an exact formula (solve the recurrence definition) for the following recursive sequence: $s_n = 2_{s_n-1} - s_{n-2}$ where $n \ge 2$, and $s_0 = 4$, $s_1 = 1$.

So I saw someone solving this by making it a differential equation or something?

How would you do that? should I do
let $\alpha = C_1$ let $\beta = C_2$ (because those symbols are ugly)

$r^2 - 2r + 1$ to get:

$r = 1$, $r = 1$

= $C_11^n + C_2n1^n$ ?
But how do I find my $C_1$ and $C_2$ ?

By the way this is a Discrete Mathematics course, not Calculus 4 course.

Physics news on Phys.org
For my solution I ended up with $S_n = 4*1^n - 3n1^n$

You have correctly identified that the characteristic root is $r=1$ of multiplicity 2, thus the closed-form is:

\(\displaystyle s_n=c_1+c_2n\)

Now, to determine the values of the parameters, you can use the initial conditions:

\(\displaystyle s_0=c_1+c_2\cdot0=4\)

\(\displaystyle s_2=c_1+c_2\cdot1=1\)

So, what do you get for the parameters when you solve the above system, and hence, what is the closed-form?

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation or set of equations that defines a sequence of values. Each value in the sequence is determined by the values of one or more previous terms in the sequence.

2. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

There are several methods for solving a recurrence relation, including substitution, iteration, and generating functions. In this case, we can use substitution to find a closed-form solution for the sequence.

3. What is the purpose of solving a recurrence relation?

Solving a recurrence relation allows us to find a general formula for the sequence, which can make it easier to calculate and understand the pattern of the sequence. It is also useful in analyzing the behavior and growth of the sequence over time.

4. What is the difference between a recurrence relation and a recursive function?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of values, while a recursive function is a computer programming concept that involves a function calling itself to solve a problem. Recurrence relations can be solved using a variety of methods, while recursive functions are typically used in programming to solve specific problems.

5. What is the significance of the $s_{n-1}$ and $s_{n-2}$ terms in this recurrence relation?

The $s_{n-1}$ and $s_{n-2}$ terms represent the previous two terms in the sequence. In order to calculate the value of $s_n$, we need to know the values of these two terms. This is what makes it a second-order recurrence relation.