Solve the 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem | 10% Antifreeze Solution

In summary, to make a 10% antifreeze solution in a 6 litre car radiator that is 2 thirds full of water, you need to add approximately 1.33 litres of a 90% antifreeze solution. The total liquid volume in the radiator will then be 4+1.33= 5.33 litres, and the concentration of pure antifreeze will be approximately 0.1 or 10%.
DethRose
Ive got an assignment of word problems and can't seem to figure this one out:

A 6 Litre car radiator is 2 thirds full of water. How much of a 90% antifreeze solution (90% is alcohol by volume) must be added to it to make a 10% antifreeze solution in the radiator?

I came up with the equation: 0.9x=(0.1)(6)

but that didnt work so any help about what the way to set up the problem would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much water is in the radiator?

4L of water

i tried to do it a new way which was :

4+0.9x=(0.1)(6)

but i got a negative number from that attempt so that can't be the answer

You are assuming that the total liquid volume in the radiator is 6 litres. If that were the case, that would mean that you were adding 2 litres of antifreeze solution. But then you would be adding .9(2)= 1.8 litres of pure antifreeze which would give a concentration of 1.8/6.0= 0.3 or 30%. That's too high so you must not be filling the radiator.

Let x be the number of litres of 90% solution you are adding. Then the total liquid volume in the radiator is 4+ x litres. The amount of pure anti-freeze you are adding is (as you say) .9x. The concentration of pure anti-freeze in the radiator is [itex]\frac{.9x}{4+ x}= .1[/itex]. Solve that for x.

What is the 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem?

The 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the amount of antifreeze solution needed to be added to a 6 litre car radiator to achieve a 10% concentration.

What is the significance of a 10% Antifreeze Solution in a car radiator?

A 10% antifreeze solution is commonly recommended for car radiators as it provides the optimal balance of protection against freezing and boiling. It also helps prevent corrosion and extends the lifespan of the radiator.

How do I solve the 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem?

To solve the 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem, you can use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the desired concentration (in this case, 10%), and V2 is the final volume (6 litres). Rearrange the formula to solve for V1 and then subtract V1 from V2 to find the amount of antifreeze solution needed to be added.

What units should I use when solving the 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem?

It is important to use consistent units when solving the 6 Litre Car Radiator Word Problem. The initial and final volumes should be in litres, and the concentration can be expressed as a decimal or percentage.

Are there any precautions I should take when adding antifreeze to my car radiator?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take proper safety precautions when adding antifreeze to your car radiator. This may include wearing gloves and eye protection, ensuring the engine is cool, and properly disposing of any excess antifreeze.