Solve the first order hyperbolic equation

In summary, solving a first-order hyperbolic equation involves finding a function that satisfies both the given equation and initial conditions. This can be done using various methods, such as the method of characteristics or separation of variables. The resulting solution is a function that describes the behavior of the system over time. It is important to note that the solution may not always be unique and can be affected by factors such as boundary conditions and discontinuities in the initial data. Additionally, numerical methods can be used to approximate the solution for more complex equations.
andrey21
Solve the first order hyperbolic equation

3 du/dx + 2x du/dt =2u

With initial condition: u(x,0) = 2x+4

My attempt at a solution

I usually adopt the method of characteristics:

dx/a = dt/b = du/c

So from the above:

a=3, b=2x and c=2u

am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do this in a slightly different way, my characteristic equations are:
[tex]
\dot{x}=3,\quad\dot{t}=2x,\quad \dot{u}=2u
[/tex]
Where the dot denotes differentiation to the characteristic variable, [itex]s[/itex]. I write the cauchy data as:
[tex]
t(s=0)=0,\quad x(s=0)=r,\quad u(s=0)=2r+4
[/tex]
Then just re-arrange to get rid of s and r and that will be your solution. I posted some notes on this in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=467445

Thank you hunt_mat. I shall read through ur notes. Is the method I was using incorrect for this question then?

Not an incorrect method, you can get the solution that way, I just think that the solution method that I presented is far easier to implement and you know if you're making a mistake or not.

So from what u have said, will the quotient of the characteristics be

dt/dx = 2x/3 du/dx= 2u/3

I think so, yes. To be perfectly honest, I was never really happy doing things this way.

Are u referring to the method I have adopted? Sorry for the confusion, I'm just anxious to answer this question.

So far, I think you're doing fine, but I haven't much experience with the method you're adopting. I have a book with it in though, so I will keep helping you with this method.

Ok hunt_mat I appreciate your help, now here's where I get stuck:

Integrating du/dx=2u/3?

So you have computed the characteristics which are given as [itex]3t-x^{2}=k[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is a constant, you know that [itex]u[/itex] is a constant on these characteristics, and you know that characteristics curve passes through the point [itex](t,x)=(0,r)[/itex], what will [itex]u[/itex] be at this point?

I'm a little confused how u got 3t-x2=k?

But will u(r,0) =2r+4

Because I solved the equation:
[tex]
\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{2x}{3}
[/tex]
You are right with the second part.

Yes sorry its because I had it in the form:

t = x2 /3 +K

Ok so given u, where do I go next?

I still need to solve du/dx correct?

Now you need to compute K, you know that the characteristic passes through the point [itex](t,x)=(0,r)[/itex], so you can use that to compute K. Then you need to integrate your equation for u and use that fact that at the point [itex](t,x)=(0,r)[/itex], [itex]u=2r+4[/itex], so all you have to do is substitute for r.

So establishing K:

t = x2 /3 +K

0= r2 /3 +K

K=-r2 /3

Therefore:

t = x2 /3 - r2 /3

Correct??

Good so far. Now do the same thing for [itex]u[/itex] and you should end up with a function with x's and r's in, and now you know an equation for r.

So the next step is to do:

du/dx where u = 2r+4

so u = 2rx +4x

Is this correct??

No, you have an equation for u of the form:
[tex]
\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{2u}{3}
[/tex]
Solve that. You will have a constant to compute, that is when you use the initial condition you were talking about.

Ok this is the part I can't get past:

du/dx= 2u/3

I'm nt sure how to solve the above:

You integrate it like any other equation:
[tex]
\log u-\log u_{0}=\frac{x^{2}}{3}
[/tex]
Now we know that at the point [itex](t,x)=(0,r)[/itex], the solution is [itex]u_{0}=2r+4[/itex], so insert this into the equation and you will be left with an equation with lots of x's and r's, well you know an equation for r...

So substituting u0=2r+4 into:

logu-logu0 = x2/3

logu-log(2r+4)=x2/3

Not quite, You need to evaluate everything at the point [itex](t,x)=(0,r)[/itex], I note that you have done nothing about te x...

It would have been better to have written the solution as:
[tex]
\log u=\frac{x^{2}}{3}+c
[/tex]
Then to find c, just evaluate the equation at the point [itex](t,x)=(0,r)[/itex]

Oh yes I see:

logu=r2/3 +c
Is this correct now?

Yes, you also know what value of u at this point as well [itex]u=2r+4[/itex] and therefore
[tex]
\log (2r+4)=\frac{r^{2}}{3}+c
[/tex]So now you know what c is in terms of r, and you know what r is in terms of t and x, you can write down the solution.

So

c= log (2r+4) - r2/3

So

log u = x2/3 + log (2r+4) - r2/3

Yey, and now you know what r in terms of t and x are, substitute these in and you will have your solution.

So:

t = x2 /3 - r2 /3

r2 /3 = x2 /3-t

r2 = x2 -3t

r = SQRT (x2 -3t)

Good so far, remember there is an associated [itex]\pm[/itex] along with the answer. You have to decide which it is, but this shouldn't be too hard.

So :

r = [itex]\pm[/itex]SQRT (x2 -3t)

What is the next step?

Plug it in and see what sign causes you trouble (I think it'll be the - sign that will be the troublesome one). Look for large values of x to find the right sign. Then you're done, you've got the right solution!

Which equation shall I plug the r value into?

Is it:

log u = x2/3 + log (2r+4) - r2/3

Yes.

1. What is a first order hyperbolic equation?

A first order hyperbolic equation is a type of partial differential equation that involves a function of two variables and its first partial derivatives. It is called "hyperbolic" because its solutions exhibit characteristics similar to those of a hyperbola.

2. How do you solve a first order hyperbolic equation?

To solve a first order hyperbolic equation, you can use the method of characteristics. This involves finding a set of curves, called characteristics, along which the equation reduces to an ordinary differential equation. Solving this ODE will give you the solution to the original hyperbolic equation.

3. What are some applications of first order hyperbolic equations?

First order hyperbolic equations have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and acoustics. They are also used in financial mathematics to model the behavior of stock prices.

4. Can first order hyperbolic equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, first order hyperbolic equations can have multiple solutions. This is because they are not always uniquely determined by their initial or boundary conditions. In some cases, additional conditions may be needed to determine a unique solution.

5. Are there any numerical methods for solving first order hyperbolic equations?

Yes, there are several numerical methods for solving first order hyperbolic equations, such as finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving the resulting system of algebraic equations.