Solving a Cauchy Problem for $f(x,y)$, Defined on $(-b,b)$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy
In summary, the conversation discusses the Cauchy problem with the given initial condition and asks for an example of a function that satisfies the problem and is only defined on the interval $(-b,b)$. The speaker suggests using $f(x,y)=\frac{x}{(b^2-x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$, which satisfies the problem and is only defined on $(-b,b)$. The possibility of using the form $y'=g(x)y^2$ to solve the problem is also mentioned, but it is noted that the solution obtained this way may not be the same as the one obtained using $f(x,y)$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider the following Cauchy problem

$$y'=f(x,y), y(0)=\frac{1}{b}$$

Find an example of a function $f(x,y)$ such that the solution exists only on the interval $(-b,b)$ for $b>0$.

I thought to pick $y(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{b^2-x^2}}$ since this is defined on $(-b,b)$.

Then differentiating we get $y'(x)=\frac{x}{(b^2-x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$.

So I thought to pick $f(x,y)=\frac{x}{(b^2-x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$.

Is my idea right? (Thinking)

In my notes there is the same example but for the interval $(-\sqrt{b}, \sqrt{b})$.

There the following is done:$y'=g(x) y^2 , y(0)=a$ where $a=\frac{1}{b}$.

$\frac{dy}{y^2}=g(x) dx$

$\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{a}-\int_0^x g(\xi) d \xi=\frac{1-a \int_0^x g(\xi) d \xi}{a}$

$y(x)=\frac{a}{1-a \int_0^x g(\xi) d \xi}$

$g(x)=2x$

$y(x)=\frac{1}{b-x^2}$If we would also want to do it as in my notes, could we again look for a solution in the form $y'=g(x) y^2$ ? (Thinking)

Because I tried it and I got $y=\frac{1}{b-\int_0^x g(\xi) d \xi}$.

But can we get from this a solution that is defined on $(-b,b)$ ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your idea is correct. Your chosen function $f(x,y)=\frac{x}{(b^2-x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$ satisfies the given Cauchy problem and its solution is indeed only defined on the interval $(-b,b)$.

To show this, we can use the existence and uniqueness theorem for first-order differential equations. Since $f$ is continuous and satisfies the Lipschitz condition with respect to $y$, there exists a unique solution to the Cauchy problem on some interval containing $x=0$. In this case, it is clear that the solution must be defined on $(-b,b)$ since this is the interval where the initial condition $y(0)=\frac{1}{b}$ is valid.

Regarding your second question, it is possible to also solve the given Cauchy problem using the form $y'=g(x)y^2$. However, it is important to note that the solution obtained in this way will not necessarily be the same as the one obtained using your chosen function $f(x,y)$. In fact, the solution obtained using $y'=g(x)y^2$ will be different for different choices of $g(x)$. Therefore, it is not always possible to obtain a solution that is defined on $(-b,b)$ using this method.

1. What is a Cauchy problem?

A Cauchy problem is a type of initial value problem in which the solution of a differential equation is determined by specifying its initial conditions at a single point. In other words, it involves finding the unique function that satisfies a given differential equation and passes through a given point.

2. What is the significance of defining $f(x,y)$ on $(-b,b)$?

The interval $(-b,b)$ represents the domain of the function $f(x,y)$. By specifying this interval, we are defining the range of possible values for the independent variables $x$ and $y$, which are necessary for solving the Cauchy problem. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and has a unique solution within this interval.

3. What are the steps for solving a Cauchy problem for $f(x,y)$?

The steps for solving a Cauchy problem for $f(x,y)$ on $(-b,b)$ are as follows:

1. Write the given differential equation in the form $f(x,y) = \frac{dy}{dx}$.
  2. Find the general solution of the differential equation.
  3. Apply the initial condition to determine the specific solution.
  4. Check if the solution satisfies all necessary conditions, such as continuity and differentiability.

4. Can a Cauchy problem have multiple solutions?

No, a Cauchy problem can have only one unique solution. This is because the initial conditions specified at a single point determine the solution of the differential equation. If there were multiple solutions, they would not all pass through the given point.

5. What are some common techniques for solving a Cauchy problem?

The most common techniques for solving a Cauchy problem involve using separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. Other techniques, such as Laplace transforms and power series, can also be used in certain cases. It is important to choose the appropriate technique based on the given differential equation and initial conditions.