Solving a Circuit with a Complex Source

In summary, the homework statement asks for solutions for ic(t) and vc(t) by adding a complex source. Analysis in the frequency domain is required to answer parts (a) and (b).
Schfra

Homework Statement

An image of the problem is attached. I need to solve for ic(t) and vc(t) by adding a complex source.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don’t know where to start here. I don’t understand the question, and I can’t find the information I need in my notes. Can somebody explain what ic(t) and vc(t) are and what it means to add a complex source?

Attachments

• 85BEF30C-45B9-4212-ADAB-BBB8A54E7E3F.jpeg
    85BEF30C-45B9-4212-ADAB-BBB8A54E7E3F.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
##i_c(t)## is the circuit current in the time domain. ##v_c(t)## is the potential across the capacitor in the time domain.

To solve the problem in the easiest way you'll want to work in the frequency domain, i.e., with phasors. So you need to examine the expression that defines the voltage source and create a phasor (complex) representation of it. Convert the capacitance to its complex impedance. Analyze the circuit.

Once you have solutions in the frequency domain you can convert them to the time domain to answer parts (a) and (b).

Likes scottdave and Schfra
gneill said:
##i_c(t)## is the circuit current in the time domain. ##v_c(t)## is the potential across the capacitor in the time domain.

To solve the problem in the easiest way you'll want to work in the frequency domain, i.e., with phasors. So you need to examine the expression that defines the voltage source and create a phasor (complex) representation of it. Convert the capacitance to its complex impedance. Analyze the circuit.

Once you have solutions in the frequency domain you can convert them to the time domain to answer parts (a) and (b).
I found the impedance of the capacitor to be .025j. I found the voltage to be 4.924-.868j. I then divided voltage by total resistance, and converted back to the time domain to get 5sin(20t+9.707deg) for ic(t).

Does this look correct so far?

Capacitors always have a negative impedance. Try again with ##Z_C = -j0.025\; \Omega##.

Likes scottdave
gneill said:
Capacitors always have a negative impedance. Try again with ##Z_C = -j0.025\; \Omega##.

Negative? Between voltage across and current through the capacitor there will be a phase difference of 90 deg.
Of course, we have 1/(jwC)=-jwC.
But are we allowed to say that the impedance is negative?
To me, this is not an academic discussion because in electronics we have "negative impedances" (negative and real)

LvW said:
Negative? Between voltage across and current through the capacitor there will be a phase difference of 90 deg.
Of course, we have 1/(jwC)=-jwC.
To me, this is not an academic discussion because in electronics we have "negative impedances" (negative and real)
Well, I was referring to the sign attributed to the quantity. Perhaps I was being a bit sloppy in my terminology when talking about an imaginary quantity.

LvW said:

I was taught when starting out with complex arithmetic to always make a sketch
actually two or three sketches
one for the voltages, one for the impedances, and one for the currents.

e.g.
upload_2018-12-7_10-18-36.png

helps keep one's thinking straight
of course that was in the days of slide rules when it was vital to think one step at a time...

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-7_10-18-36.png
    upload_2018-12-7_10-18-36.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 358
Likes scottdave
As usually, I am late [very late it is now!].
I think it will be easier taken U as reference U[complex]=U+0i and Z=R-0.025i then I=U/Z.
For energy [reactive energy?]
En=∫(U/Z)^2*Xcdt and knowing that theoretically ∫f(t)^2*Xcdt|t=0 t=0.01|=f(t)^3/3/(df(x)/dt)|t=0 t=0.01 sec| you will find
En=2.22209E-06 VARsec?

1. What is a complex source in a circuit?

A complex source in a circuit refers to a power source that has both a magnitude and a phase angle. This means that the source is not purely a DC voltage or current, but includes an alternating component as well.

2. How do I solve a circuit with a complex source?

To solve a circuit with a complex source, you will need to use complex numbers and phasor analysis. This involves converting all components in the circuit (resistors, capacitors, inductors) into their complex equivalents and then using complex algebra to solve for the voltage and current at different points in the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using complex numbers to solve a circuit?

Using complex numbers allows us to simplify the calculations and equations involved in solving a circuit with a complex source. It also provides a more accurate representation of the circuit's behavior, as it takes into account the phase difference between the source and the circuit elements.

4. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers in circuit analysis?

While complex numbers are useful in solving circuits with complex sources, they are limited to linear circuits. Nonlinear circuits, such as those containing diodes or transistors, cannot be accurately analyzed using complex numbers.

5. How can I verify my solution for a circuit with a complex source?

You can verify your solution by checking if it satisfies Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. Additionally, you can use simulation software or a breadboard to physically test the circuit and compare the results to your calculated values.