Solving a definite integral without using gamma function

In summary, the conversation was about evaluating the integral $\int_0^{\infty} t^{-1/4}e^{-t}\,dt$ and whether it could be solved using elementary methods. It was concluded that the integral cannot be solved using elementary methods and the result can only be represented using the gamma function. The conversation also mentioned a formula for the product of gamma functions and briefly discussed the proof for another formula involving the gamma function.
Saitama
Problem:
Evaluate:
$$\int_0^{\infty} t^{-1/4}e^{-t}\,dt$$

Attempt:
I recognised this one as $\Gamma(3/4)$. I found a few formulas on Wolfram Mathworld website which helps to evaluate this but I am wondering if I can solve the definite integral from elementary methods (like by parts).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This integral cannot be solved using elementary methods because the result is only representable using the gamma function

\(\displaystyle \Gamma(x) = \int^\infty_0 t^{x-1}\, e^{-t} \, dt\)

and cannot be introduced otherwise. The result can be written differently using some properties of the gamma function. For example ,

\(\displaystyle \Gamma(x) \Gamma(1-x) = \pi \csc(\pi x) \)

\(\displaystyle 2^{1-2x}\sqrt{\pi}\Gamma(2x) = \Gamma\left( x+\frac{1}{2}\right) \Gamma(x) \)

\(\displaystyle \Gamma(1+x) = x \Gamma(x)\)

Thanks ZaidAlyafey! :)

Is there a proof for the following formula?

ZaidAlyafey said:
\(\displaystyle \Gamma(x) \Gamma(1-x) = \pi \csc(\pi x) \)

I am actually dealing with the product $\Gamma(3/4)\Gamma(1/2)\Gamma(1/4)$. If I use the above formula, I can easily find the value of the product.

This integral cannot be solved using elementary methods because the result is only representable using the gamma function

The proof is a pain. The one I saw used relatively large amount of differential galois applied to gamma values.

The proof that uses less formulas and easiest , in my opinion, is using complex analysis.

ZaidAlyafey said:
The proof that uses less formulas and easiest , in my opinion, is using complex analysis.

Its better that I stay away from the proof. :p

Thanks, I solved the problem using the formula. :)

1. How do you solve a definite integral without using the gamma function?

To solve a definite integral without using the gamma function, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral into a form that can be easily evaluated.

2. Can you give an example of solving a definite integral without using the gamma function?

Yes, for an integral such as ∫(x^2 + 1)^2 dx from 0 to 1, you can use the substitution u = x^2 + 1 to rewrite the integral as ∫2u^2 du. Then, you can integrate and substitute back for x to get the final result.

3. Why would someone want to solve a definite integral without using the gamma function?

There are several reasons why someone might want to solve a definite integral without using the gamma function. One reason could be that the gamma function is not available in certain programming languages or software, so alternative methods must be used. Another reason could be for educational purposes or to gain a better understanding of integration techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to solving a definite integral without using the gamma function?

Yes, there may be some integrals that cannot be easily solved without using the gamma function. In these cases, it may be necessary to use numerical methods or approximation techniques to find an approximate solution. Additionally, some integrals may require a large number of steps to solve without the gamma function, making it a more time-consuming process.

5. Can solving a definite integral without using the gamma function lead to incorrect results?

Yes, it is possible to make mistakes or encounter difficulties when solving a definite integral without using the gamma function. This is why it is important to carefully check your work and be familiar with the various integration techniques. It is also helpful to have a reference or guide for solving integrals without the gamma function.