1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a PDE in spherical with source term

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a PDE and I need to solve it in spherical domain:

$$\frac{dF(r,t)}{dt}=\alpha \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} r^2 \frac{dF(r,t)}{dr} +g(r,t) $$

I have BC's:

$$ \frac{dF}{dr} = 0, r =0$$
    $$ \frac{dF}{dr} = 0, r =R$$

2. Relevant equations

So, in spherical coord.

First, I know that:

$$F=w/r$$
    Reducing, I get:

$$\frac{dw}{dt} =\alpha \frac{d^2w}{dr^2}+r*g(r,t) $$

3. The attempt at a solution

After I Get this, I need to find eigenfunction expansions to express the source term and
    then, finally, the solution Do I need to do separation of variables? I am confused at this point and not sure how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you say you are confused when you have essentially described a proper way of attacking the problem? Why don't you simply try doing it?

Side note: Were you given these boundary conditions or did you implement them based on problem formulation. It seems strange to me to have a boundary condition of that form at r=0. If r=0 is part of your domain, it is not a boundary.

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3

I should be more specific. The problem is attached for complete clarity, noting that I need to state any assumptions. The reason I haven't started is because I am not fully sure how to start. Should I Start with separation of variables? Should I start with identifying a proper eigenfunction? Would it be of the form sin(...).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted