Solving a Real-Valued Differentiable Function Problem

In summary, the problem involves a differentiable function f(x) that is equal to itself when x is negated. It is given that f(p)=1 and f'(-p)=5, where p is a positive number. We are asked to find f'(-p) and f'(0), as well as determine the coordinates of the intersection point Q of the two tangent lines to the graph of f at (-p,1) and (p,1). The solution involves using the fact that the derivative of an even function is 0 and the symmetry of the function and its derivative.
ludi_srbin
Alright, here is the problem.

For all real numbers x, f is differentiable function such that f(x)=f(-x). Let f(p)=1 and f'(-p)=5, for some p>0

a) Find f'(-p)

b) f'(0)

c) If L1 and L2 are lines tangent to the graph of f at (-p,1) and (p,1) respectively, and if L1 and L2 intersect at point x- and y- coordinates of Q in terms of p.

Physics news on Phys.org
O yeah I forgot. I got the a) part easily. Others I can't do.

For part b), try using that fact that [tex] 0 = - 0 [/tex] and the properties you should have deduced about the derivative of an even function.

For part c), just construct the two tangent lines. You have enough information to do this if you use the symmetry of the function and its derivative.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

1. What is a real-valued differentiable function problem?

A real-valued differentiable function problem involves finding the optimal value of a function that takes real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers, while also satisfying the criteria of differentiability.

2. How do I approach solving a real-valued differentiable function problem?

The first step is to understand the problem and its constraints. Then, use techniques such as calculus, linear algebra, and optimization to find the critical points and determine the optimal value.

3. What is the importance of differentiability in this type of problem?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to use methods such as the derivative and gradient to find the optimal value. Without differentiability, it would be much more challenging to solve these types of problems.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-valued differentiable function problem?

One example is finding the minimum or maximum value of a quadratic function, such as f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3. This function is real-valued and differentiable, and the solution can be found using the derivative and critical point analysis.

5. Are there any common pitfalls to avoid when solving a real-valued differentiable function problem?

Yes, some common mistakes include not considering all the constraints, making calculation errors, and not checking for multiple solutions or local optima. It is essential to double-check your work and ensure that all steps are accurate.