Solving a Trig Word Problem: Mountain Height

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a mountain based on the measurements of two angles of elevation and the distance walked closer to the mountain. This can be solved using two right triangles and the tangent function, leading to two simultaneous equations that can be rearranged to find the height of the mountain.
KublaKhan

Homework Statement

A woman measures the angle of elevation of a mountaintop as 12.0°. After walking 0.80 km closer to the mountain on level ground, she finds the angle to be 14.0°
(a) Draw a picture of the problem, neglecting the height of the woman's eyes above the ground. Hint: Use two triangles.

(b) Select variable names for the mountain height (suggestion: y) and the woman's original distance from the mountain (suggestion: x) and label the picture. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

(c) Using the labeled picture and the tangent function, write two trigonometric equations relating the two selected variables. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

(d) Find the height y of the mountain by first solving one equation for x and substituting the result into the other equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My two beginning equations are:
1. tan 12 = y/.8
2. tan 14 = y/x

The solution to equation 1 is .17
It seems to me that I no longer need to use two tangent equations as the problem suggests. I now know enough information for the following equation.

3. sin 14 = y/.17
Solution = .04km for the mountain height

I am way off the answer (which I know to be 1.15km)
What is wrong with my approach to the problem?
How do I substitute one equation into the other if I approach the problem in the suggested fashion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Holy Mackerel. I shouldn't do these things tired.

My first equation should be tan 14= y/x
2nd should be tan 12=y/(x-.8)
And my approach was obv wrong as I was trying to make a right triangle out of one that is not.
Still lost though. help?

As far as solving for x the farthest I can get is:
x tan 14=y
x = y / tan 14

I then would plug this into the other which just results in a wacky equation:

tan 12 = y / (y/tan 14) - .8

Not sure where to go from here

Last edited:
KublaKhan said:

Homework Statement

A woman measures the angle of elevation of a mountaintop as 12.0°. After walking 0.80 km closer to the mountain on level ground, she finds the angle to be 14.0°
(a) Draw a picture of the problem, neglecting the height of the woman's eyes above the ground. Hint: Use two triangles.

(b) Select variable names for the mountain height (suggestion: y) and the woman's original distance from the mountain (suggestion: x) and label the picture. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

(c) Using the labeled picture and the tangent function, write two trigonometric equations relating the two selected variables. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

(d) Find the height y of the mountain by first solving one equation for x and substituting the result into the other equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My two beginning equations are:
1. tan 12 = y/.8
No. Since tangent is "opposite/adjacent", you want height of mountain over distance to the mountain. Height of the mountain is y but the distance to the mountain is NOT .8 but .8 closer than originally: x- .8.

2. tan 14 = y/x

The solution to equation 1 is .17
Unfortunately, equation 1 is incorrect.

It seems to me that I no longer need to use two tangent equations as the problem suggests. I now know enough information for the following equation.

3. sin 14 = y/.17
Solution = .04km for the mountain height

I am way off the answer (which I know to be 1.15km)
What is wrong with my approach to the problem?
How do I substitute one equation into the other if I approach the problem in the suggested fashion?

I didn't get your known answer of 1.15 km, but I got pretty close. So, draw the mountain. The height of the mountain (y) forms the vertical side of a right triangle, the ground forms the horizontal. At some point, call it x, you measure an angle of 12 degrees. The height of the mountain, the distance x from the mountain, and the line from x to the peak form a right triangle. You walk 800 meters closer to the mountain, this new point, call it (x-800), measures 14 degrees to the peak. Now you have two right triangles that have the same y.

You also have two simultaneous equations: tan12 = y/x, and tan14 = y/(x-800). You should be able to rearrange these to get the result you are looking for.

Related to Solving a Trig Word Problem: Mountain Height

1. How do I identify the relevant trigonometric ratios and angles in a mountain height word problem?

First, identify the known and unknown quantities in the problem. Then, determine which trigonometric ratio (sine, cosine, or tangent) is relevant to finding the unknown height. Finally, use the given angle measure and the trig ratio to set up and solve a trigonometric equation.

2. What is the formula for solving a mountain height word problem using trigonometry?

The formula to use is h = d * tan(theta), where h is the height of the mountain, d is the distance from the observer to the base of the mountain, and theta is the angle of elevation from the observer to the top of the mountain.

3. How do I find the angle of elevation in a mountain height word problem?

The angle of elevation is the angle between the horizontal line of sight from the observer and the line of sight to the top of the mountain. This angle can be found using inverse trigonometric functions such as arctan, arcsin, or arccos.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve a mountain height word problem if I only have the height and angle of elevation?

Yes, you can still use trigonometry to solve the problem. Use the given height and angle of elevation to set up and solve a trigonometric equation using the tangent function. This will give you the distance from the observer to the base of the mountain, which can then be used to find the height of the mountain.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving a mountain height word problem using trigonometry?

One common mistake is using the wrong trigonometric ratio. Make sure to carefully read the problem and identify which ratio is relevant to finding the unknown height. Another mistake is forgetting to convert angle measurements to the same unit (degrees or radians) before solving the trigonometric equation.