Solving an equation involving factorials

• Thread starter Dr. Seafood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary: I'm not sure if there's a closed form solution for (x, y) here.In summary, the conversation discusses finding all positive integers x, y such that {1 \over x} + {1 \over y} = {1 \over N!}, N \in \mathbb{N}. Solutions for a given N! are shown to have the property of x + y \mod xy = 0 and x = y = 2N!. It is also mentioned that there are a finite number of solutions and a rapid solution is suggested. A deeper analysis is suggested, involving finding all rational solutions through lines with rational slopes. It is unsure if there is a closed form solution for (x, y) in this problem
Dr. Seafood
Splitting the reciprocal of a factorial into a sum of reciprocals of positive integer

I'm interested in finding all positive integers x, y such that [itex]{1 \over x} + {1 \over y} = {1 \over N!}[/itex], [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. I think it's best to gather as many properties of solutions as possible, to make this problem as computationally simple as possible. I'm not sure if there's a closed form solution for (x, y) here. This is trivial for small N, but let's take N > 2.

If x, y are solutions for a given N!, we immediately get [itex]{{x + y} \over {xy}} = {1 \over N!} \implies {{xy} \over {x + y}} = N![/itex]. Since the right-side is an integer, we get [itex]x + y \mod xy = 0[/itex]. Also, x = y always gives the solution x = y = 2N!, so let's assume without losing generality that x > y > 1.

Anything else ...? Maybe even a rapid solution?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Without loss of generality, we can assume that x>y., But then

[tex]\frac{2}{y}\geq \frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{N!}[/tex]

So [tex]2N!\geq y[/tex].

So this shows that there are a finite number of solutions, and that all solutions must have

[tex]y\in \{1,2,...,2N!\}[/tex]

Of course, this is only a small step and won't help in solving the general case.

No, the number of solutions is a pretty cool result. Thanks!

Dr. Seafood said:
I'm interested in finding all positive integers x, y such that [itex]{1 \over x} + {1 \over y} = {1 \over N!}[/itex], [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. I think it's best to gather as many properties of solutions as possible, to make this problem as computationally simple as possible. I'm not sure if there's a closed form solution for (x, y) here. This is trivial for small N, but let's take N > 2.

If x, y are solutions for a given N!, we immediately get [itex]{{x + y} \over {xy}} = {1 \over N!} \implies {{xy} \over {x + y}} = N![/itex]. Since the right-side is an integer, we get [itex]x + y \mod xy = 0[/itex]. Also, x = y always gives the solution x = y = 2N!, so let's assume without losing generality that x > y > 1.

Anything else ...? Maybe even a rapid solution?
For a given N, whenever [itex]{-yN! \over N! - y}[/itex] is an integer you should have a solution. Just solved for x.

OK, let's delve some deeper. I suggest reading http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/BMC4/Handouts/elliptic/node4.html

In general, you want to know the integer solutions to

[tex]N! x+N! y-xy=0[/tex]

You already know such a solution (0,0). Now there's an easy way to find all the rational solutions (of which there are infinitely many).

We consider all lines through (0,0) with rational slope. These lines have the form y=tx or x=0. Each of these lines will intersect our conic in another point, which will be rational. In fact, let's calculate the intersection of y=tx and our conic [tex]N! x+N! y-xy=0[/tex]

Substiting y=tx in the equation of the conic yields

[tex] N! x+t N! x- tx^2=0[/tex]

Thus

[tex] x((1+t)N!-tx)=0[/tex]

thus x=0 or [itex]x=\frac{(1+t)N!}{t}[/itex]. The corresponding y is [itex]y=(1+t)N![/itex].

So all the rational solutions are of the form

[tex]x=\frac{(1+t)N!}{t}~\text{and}~y=(1+t)N![/tex]

with t rational.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an equation involving factorials?

An equation involving factorials is an equation in which one or more of the variables is raised to a factorial power, denoted by an exclamation point (!). For example, x! = 120 is an equation involving factorials.

How do you solve an equation involving factorials?

To solve an equation involving factorials, you must use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable that is raised to a factorial power. This typically involves using the inverse operation of factorial, which is the gamma function.

What is the gamma function?

The gamma function is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the factorial function. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (Γ) and is used to solve equations involving factorials.

What are some common techniques for solving equations involving factorials?

Some common techniques for solving equations involving factorials include using the gamma function, simplifying the equation by canceling common factors, and using logarithms to rewrite the equation in a more manageable form.

Are there any special considerations when solving equations involving factorials?

Yes, there are some special considerations when solving equations involving factorials. For example, you must be careful to avoid taking the factorial of a negative number, as this is undefined. Additionally, some equations involving factorials may have multiple solutions, so it is important to check your answer to ensure it satisfies the original equation.