Solving Bohr Radii and Energy with U=1/2*k*r^2

In summary, the conversation discusses using Bohr's quantization condition to find the permissible orbital radii and energy levels of an electron moving in a circular orbit with the potential U=1/2*k*r^2. The solution involves incorporating the given potential into the equations and using it instead of the Coulomb force.
smithjones

Homework Statement

An electron moves along a circular orbit in the potential U=1/2*k*r^2. Using Bohr's quantization condition, find the permissible orbital radii and energy levels of the electron

Homework Equations

L=mvr=n*hbar

The Attempt at a Solution

Will someone put me on the correct path. I understand how the coulomb force is used to derive the radii of the H atom, but I do not understand how to incorporate the given pot. fct.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
smithjones said:

Homework Statement

An electron moves along a circular orbit in the potential U=1/2*k*r^2. Using Bohr's quantization condition, find the permissible orbital radii and energy levels of the electron

Homework Equations

L=mvr=n*hbar

The Attempt at a Solution

Will someone put me on the correct path. I understand how the coulomb force is used to derive the radii of the H atom, but I do not understand how to incorporate the given pot. fct.
Thanks!

incorporate the given potential in the following way:

Do everything exactly as for the coulomb force, but instead of using the coulomb force use:
[tex]
\vec F=-\hat r \frac{d U}{dr}\;.
[/tex]

Thanks I will give it a shot

ok. good luck.

Related to Solving Bohr Radii and Energy with U=1/2*k*r^2

1. What is the Bohr radius?

The Bohr radius is a unit of length used in atomic physics to represent the distance between the nucleus and the electron in a hydrogen atom when the electron is in its ground state.

2. How is the Bohr radius calculated?

The Bohr radius is calculated using the formula r = (k*e^2) / (2*h*c*ε0), where k is the Coulomb constant, e is the elementary charge, h is the Planck constant, c is the speed of light, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of solving for the Bohr radius and energy?

The Bohr radius and energy allow scientists to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in atoms. It also provides insights into the structure and stability of atoms, which is essential in fields such as chemistry and materials science.

4. Can the Bohr radius and energy be applied to atoms other than hydrogen?

Yes, the Bohr radius and energy can be applied to any atom that has a single electron orbiting its nucleus. However, the values may differ due to the different number of protons in the nucleus and the different energy levels of the electrons.

5. How does changing the value of U=1/2*k*r^2 affect the Bohr radius and energy?

Changing the value of U=1/2*k*r^2 will directly affect the energy of the electron in the atom. A higher value of U will result in a larger energy and a larger Bohr radius, meaning the electron will be further away from the nucleus. Conversely, a lower value of U will result in a smaller energy and a smaller Bohr radius, meaning the electron will be closer to the nucleus.