Solving Bohr Radii and Energy with U=1/2*k*r^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter smithjones
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bohr Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
smithjones
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electron moves along a circular orbit in the potential U=1/2*k*r^2. Using Bohr's quantization condition, find the permissible orbital radii and energy levels of the electron



Homework Equations


L=mvr=n*hbar


The Attempt at a Solution


Will someone put me on the correct path. I understand how the coulomb force is used to derive the radii of the H atom, but I do not understand how to incorporate the given pot. fct.
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
smithjones said:

Homework Statement


An electron moves along a circular orbit in the potential U=1/2*k*r^2. Using Bohr's quantization condition, find the permissible orbital radii and energy levels of the electron



Homework Equations


L=mvr=n*hbar


The Attempt at a Solution


Will someone put me on the correct path. I understand how the coulomb force is used to derive the radii of the H atom, but I do not understand how to incorporate the given pot. fct.
Thanks!

incorporate the given potential in the following way:

Do everything exactly as for the coulomb force, but instead of using the coulomb force use:
[tex] \vec F=-\hat r \frac{d U}{dr}\;.[/tex]