Solving Chain Rule & Trig. Power Equations

In summary, we are dealing with the function n=\frac{\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})}{\sin(\frac{A}{2})} and trying to find the partial derivatives \frac{\partial n}{\partial A}, \frac{\partial n}{\partial D}, as well as |\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}|^{2} and |\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}|^{2}. The chain rule is used to find \frac{\partial n}{\partial A} and \frac{\partial n}{\partial D}, and the sum rule is used to simplify the function to n=\cos(\frac{D}{2})+\cot(\frac{A}{2})
SUDOnym
I always get muddled when I'm dealing with chain rule of any degree of complexity and also when dealing with powers of trig. functions - this problem contains both:

find [tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}[/tex] of the following function:

[tex]n=\frac{\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})}{\sin(\frac{A}{2})}[/tex]

also find [tex]|\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}|^{2}[/tex] [tex]|\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}|^{2}[/tex]

My Attempt:

[tex]\implies n=\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})[\sin(\frac{A}{2})]^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]\implies\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}=\frac{1}{2}\cos(\frac{A+D}{2})[\sin(\frac{A}{2})]^{-1}+\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})(-1)[\sin(\frac{A}{2})]^{-2}(\frac{1}{2})\cos(\frac{A}{2})[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\cos(\frac{A+D}{2})}{\sin(\frac{A}{2})}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})\cos(\frac{A}{2})}{[\sin(\frac{A}{2})]^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2\sin(\frac{A}{2})}[\cos(\frac{A+D}{2})-\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})\arctan(\frac{A}{2})][/tex]

[tex]\implies|\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}|^{2}=\frac{1}{4\sin^{2}(\frac{A}{2})}[\cos^{2}(\frac{A+D}{2})+\sin^{2}(\frac{A+D}{2})\arctan^{2}(\frac{A}{2})-2\cos(\frac{A+D}{2})\sin(\frac{A+D}{2})\arctan(\frac{A}{2})][/tex]

*Correction that last arctan term should read [tex]\arctan(\frac{A}{2})[/tex]

At this point I tried to simplify the trig. a bit... (but a don't think I did a great job!):

[tex]=\frac{1}{4\sin^{2}(\frac{A}{2})}[\frac{1}{2}\cos(A+D)+1]+[\frac{1}{2}(-\cos(A+D)+1)]\arctan^{2}(\frac{A}{2})-\sin(A+D)\arctan(\frac{A}{2})[/tex]

Main issues I have with the above are: I am never any good with chain rule and also re. the trig. I keep getting confused as to whether for example the function:
[tex]\sin^{x}(A)[/tex]
is in all cases completely equivalent to:
[tex][\sin(A)]^{x}[/tex]

ie. are there some cases where they are not equivalent? - this confusion may or may not have caused errors in my attempt above...

OK, now [tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}[/tex] is a little easier:

[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}=\frac{1}{2}\cos(\frac{A+D}{2})[\sin(\frac{A}{2})]^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\implies|\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}|^{2}=\frac{1}{4}\cos^{2}(\frac{A+D}{2})[\sin(\frac{A}{2})]^{-2}[/tex]All advice and corrections are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your original function is pretty complex.

I will show you how to find find

[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}[/tex] of [tex]n=sin(\frac{A+D}{2})[/tex]after seeing this then you can apply it to the problem as a whole using quotient rule.

[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}[/tex]=[cos(0.5A+0.5D)](0.5)

Think, this is a partial derivative with respect to A, this means that A is the only variable and that everything else including D will be held constant.

Chain rule goes like this: derivative of the outside, inside stays the same then derivative of the inside, repeat until you don't have anymore insides.

The outside was sin() and the inside was (0.5A+0.5D) and the derivative of the inside as (0.5)

I would apply the sum rule, and write n in terms of separate trigonometric functions of A/2 and D/2.

And sin^n(A) means [sin(A)]^n.

ehild

... so going by the above comments, I think I used the chain rule correctly (@ehilld I find chain rule easier than sum rule mostly!) - can anyone suggest tips on if there is a way I can simplify the trig. a little?

SUDOnym said:
... (@ehilld I find chain rule easier than sum rule mostly!) - can anyone suggest tips on if there is a way I can simplify the trig. a little?

Apply the sum rule. Really.

You can find that sin(a+b) =sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b)

The function n=sin((A+B)/2)/sin(A/2) simplifies to

[itex]n=\frac{\sin(A/2) \cos(B/2) + \cos(A/2) \sin(B/2)}{\sin(A/2)}=\cos(B/2)+\sin(B/2) \cot(A/2)[/itex].

When squaring, you can remove the half-angles by using the identities

sin2(A/2)=0.5(1-cos(A)),
cos2(A/2)=0.5(1+cos(A)), which you have tried, but did something wrong. cos^2((A+D)/2)+sin^2((A+D)/2)=1 instead that complicated something you wrote.

By the way, you replaced cos(A/2)/sin(A/2) with arctan(A/2), which is wrong. It is cotangent, cot(A/2).

ehild

@ehild

OK, so from my original formula:

[tex]\implies n=\cos(\frac{D}{2})+\cot(\frac{A}{2})\sin(\frac{D}{2})[/tex]

[tex]\implies\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}=[-\frac{1}{\sin^{2}(\frac{A}{2})}](\frac{1}{2})\sin(\frac{D}{2})=-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin(\frac{D}{2})}{\sin^{2}(\frac{A}{2})}[/tex]

[tex]\implies|\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}|^{2}=\frac{1}{4}[\frac{\sin(\frac{D}{2})}{\sin^{2}(\frac{A}{2})}]^{2}[/tex]

and for:

[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}=-(\frac{1}{2})\sin(\frac{D}{2})+(\frac{1}{2})\cot(\frac{A}{2})\cos(\frac{D}{2})[/tex]

[tex]=-(\frac{1}{2})\sin(\frac{D}{2})+(\frac{1}{2})\frac{\cos(\frac{D}{2})}{\tan(\frac{A}{2})}[/tex]

[tex]\implies|\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}|^{2}=(\frac{1}{4})\sin^{2}(\frac{D}{2})-(\frac{1}{2})\frac{\sin(\frac{D}{2})\cos(\frac{D}{2})}{\tan(\frac{A}{2})}+(\frac{1}{4})\frac{\cos^{2}(\frac{D}{2})}{\tan^{2}(\frac{A}{2})}[/tex]

[tex]=(\frac{1}{4})(\frac{1}{2})(1-\cos(D))-(\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{2})\frac{\sin(D)}{\tan(\frac{A}{2})}+[\frac{\cos(\frac{D}{2})}{\tan(\frac{A}{2})}]^{2}(\frac{1}{4})[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{4}((\frac{1}{2})(1-\cos(D))-\frac{\sin(D)}{\tan(\frac{A}{2})}+[\frac{\cos(\frac{D}{2})}{\tan(\frac{A}{2})}]^{2})[/tex]

Can you please confirm that this is correct? (although I still used the chain rule... I don't think that sum rule would have made life much easier, but stand to be corrected there...)

please note, this formula for n is for finding refractive index of material using a prism where A and D are two angles... the reason I want square of partial derivatives is so that I can then use them in the error propogation formula along with my error in A and D in order to find error in n. So, I suppose it is not essential that I reduce the trig. to the most simple form possible so long as the final formula is in some way tractable - that said, dealing with trig. has been a weakness of mine for a very long time and so I am eager to improve in this area.

The derivative with respect to D is simpler in the original form,
[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial D}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\cos(\frac{A+D}{2})}{sin(\frac{A}{2})}[/tex]. The derivative with respect to A is
[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial A}=-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin(\frac{D}{2})}{\sin^{2}(\frac {A}{2})}[/tex]
You need not do the squares. When evaluating the squares of the derivatives, the simplest way is to evaluate the derivatives and then square them (the numbers, not the formulae).

ehild

Related to Solving Chain Rule & Trig. Power Equations

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do I apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you must first identify the inner and outer functions of the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, replace the inner function with its original form and simplify.

3. How does the chain rule apply to trigonometric functions?

The chain rule can be applied to trigonometric functions by treating them as composite functions. For example, if the function is f(x) = sin(3x), the outer function is sin(x) and the inner function is 3x. Then, the derivative would be cos(x) * 3 = 3cos(x).

4. What are power equations in trigonometry?

Power equations in trigonometry are equations that involve raising a trigonometric function to a power. These types of equations can be solved using the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1).

5. How do I use the chain rule and power rule together to solve equations?

To solve equations that involve both the chain rule and power rule, you must first apply the chain rule to find the derivative of the composite function. Then, use the power rule to find the derivative of the power function. Finally, combine the two derivatives and solve for the variable.