Solving Enthaply by other ways?

• Thread starter fubear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various thermodynamic parameters for the adiabatic expansion of 2 moles of an ideal gas at 300K and 5 bar to double its volume at a constant external pressure of 1 bar. The calculated values for work (w), change in internal energy (dE), and change in enthalpy (dH) using different methods are compared, with some discrepancies noted. The concept of adiabatic expansion at constant external pressure is also clarified.
fubear
2 moles of an ideal gas at 300K and 5 bar is expanded adiabatically at a constant pressure of 1 bar till the volume doubles. Cv = 3R/2. Calculate w, q, dE, dH and change in T.

I found that w = dE = -997.78J

In class we solved dH by:

dH = CpdT = -1.66kJ

(we found Cp by Cp=Cv+nR ; we found dT by Cv=dE/dT)

I was wondering if we could solve dH another way:
dH = dE + d(PV)

However, I get a different answer..
dH = dE + Pext dV (because pressure is constant)
dH = -997.78J +-997.78J (because Pext dV is work)
dH = -2.00 kJ

I also tried another way:
dH = dE + d(nRT)
dH = -977J + (2mol)(8.3145J/K)(-80K)
dH = -1.08kJ

I am not getting the same value for each of the different ways I am using... Am I doing something wrong or am I not allowed to solve dH using the other methods?

Also, at constant pressure, isn't dH = qrev.. and q=0, so shouldn't dH = 0?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
fubear said:
2 moles of an ideal gas at 300K and 5 bar is expanded adiabatically at a constant pressure
It is adiabatic or at constant pressure? How can be both?

The external pressure is constant, but the system undergoes an adiabatic process

I'm with nasu here. If the gas expands adiabatically pushing out a piston, then it will do work pushing out the piston, and its internal energy will fall. So, therefore, will its temperature, and its pressure (since P = nRT/V and T goes down and V goes up).

for sharing your results and methods for calculating dH in this adiabatic expansion scenario. It is important to note that there are multiple ways to solve for dH and it is possible to get slightly different values depending on the method used. However, all of your calculations seem to be correct and within a reasonable range of each other. It is also important to keep in mind that these calculations are based on ideal gas assumptions and may not be entirely accurate in real-world scenarios.

Regarding your question about solving dH using the other methods, it is certainly possible to do so, but it may not always yield the same result as the more commonly used method of dH = CpdT. This is because different methods may take into account different variables or assumptions. As long as your calculations are based on sound scientific principles and yield reasonable results, it is acceptable to use different methods to solve for dH.

Additionally, you are correct in stating that at constant pressure, dH = qrev and q=0, so dH should theoretically equal 0. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be some slight changes in pressure or other variables that may result in a small non-zero value for dH. This is why we often use the more accurate method of dH = CpdT to calculate the change in enthalpy.

Overall, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind each method used to solve for dH and to choose the most appropriate method for each scenario. Your results and calculations seem to be on the right track, so keep up the good work in your scientific studies.

What is enthalpy and why is it important in solving scientific problems?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy in a thermodynamic system, including both its internal energy and the energy it exchanges with its surroundings. It is important in solving scientific problems because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of chemical reactions and physical processes.

What are the different ways to solve for enthalpy in a system?

There are several methods for solving enthalpy in a system, including using Hess's Law, the heat of formation method, and the heat of reaction method. Each of these methods involves using different equations and data to calculate enthalpy.

How do I determine the enthalpy change of a reaction from experimental data?

The enthalpy change of a reaction can be determined by using the formula ΔH = q/m, where q is the heat exchanged during the reaction and m is the mass of the substance undergoing the reaction. This can be measured using a calorimeter or through other experimental methods.

Can enthalpy be negative or positive? What does this indicate?

Enthalpy can be negative or positive, depending on the direction of the reaction. A negative enthalpy change indicates that the reaction releases energy, while a positive enthalpy change indicates that the reaction requires energy to occur.

What are the limitations of using enthalpy to solve scientific problems?

Enthalpy is a useful tool for solving scientific problems, but it has its limitations. It assumes that the system is at constant pressure and that there are no energy losses or gains during the reaction. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature and concentration changes on the reaction.