1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving equation in C

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    in my homework i got a question that told me to solve the following equation in C
    equation.jpg
    can someone tell me what is this question? what is it means "to solve in C"? i know(if i am right) that C is the field of complex numbers but i don't realy gets what is going on with that question.

i am not asking for a solution at all i just want to know what is it and where i can read about the subject of this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure it means to solve for z, with z being a complex number.

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3
    i just don't understand what it means. can you explain me or show me where i can read about equations like that?

5. Aug 24, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your textbook, for starters. Surely they must have an example of finding the complex roots in an equation.

6. Aug 24, 2016 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

... and it is a trick question. See if you can reduce the fraction (remember that i2 = -1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted