1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for exponents in proportionality

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    In an experiment I am performing, I observed the following:

Result is directly proportional to A
    Result is inversely proportional to B

So, I assume two constants, alpha and beta such that:

Result = (A^alpha)/(B^beta)

Now, if I know I want to solve for alpha and beta but is this the right approach to take to get the value of Result for any given A and B?

(Actually, I could have assumed Result = k. (A/B) but I am not sure that my result follows such a simple proportionality which is why I assumed alpha and beta). Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You also need a constant out front, for a total of 3 constants to be determined.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    So that means, I should in fact be looking at Result = k. (A^alpha) * (B^beta)? Could you provide me some insight on how to go about solving this equation? I am new to these things so even a direction would be helpful...

I was actually thinking of determining alpha, beta and k on a trial and error basis experimentally but that would take me ages with the experiment I am running...

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take logarithms, then it's just a high school algebra exercise to regress three points to it. If you have more data you can do a standard least-squares fit.

6. Jul 27, 2009 #5
    Understood... Thanks so much for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook