Solving for Surjective Matrix: A Possible Typo in the Theorem Statement?

• Thread starter lauratyso11n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surjective
In summary, there is a theorem that states that for a surjective matrix A, the transpose of A, A^(T), is injective and A^(T)A is invertible. However, there seems to be a typo in the statement as the example given does not follow this rule. It is suggested that the correct statement should be AA^(T) instead of A^(T)A. This typo may affect the analysis and solution of the problem, which involves solving for lambda. The author's solution involves using the inverse of sigma^(T)sigma, so it is crucial to have the correct statement in order to solve for lambda.
lauratyso11n
I saw this in a book as a proposition but I think it's an error:

Assume that the (n-by-k) matrix, [tex]A[/tex], is surjective as a mapping,

[tex]A:R^{k}\rightarrow R^{n}[/tex].

For any [tex]y \in R^{n} [/tex], consider the optimization problem

[tex]min_{x \in R^{k}}\left{||x||^2\right}[/tex]

such that [tex] Ax = y[/tex].

Then, the following hold:
(i) The transpose of [tex]A[/tex], call it [tex]A^{T}[/tex] is injective.
(ii) The matrix [tex]A^{T}A[/tex] is invertible.
(iii) etc etc etc...

I have a problem with point (ii), take as an example the (2-by-3) surjective matrix
[tex]A = \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]A^{T}A[/tex] in this case is not invertible.

What am I doing wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. But I think there must be a typo in the theorem statement and they meant to write AA^(T) instead of A^(T)A.

Dick said:
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. But I think there must be a typo in the theorem statement and they meant to write AA^(T) instead of A^(T)A.

That would be fine, but the result is used to carry some analysis. The crux of it is:

[tex]\sigma\lambda = \alpha - \bf{r}[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma \in R^{n-by-k}[/tex] is surjective, and [tex]\lambda \in R^{k}[/tex], [tex]\alpha , r \in R^{n}[/tex].

How would you solve for [tex]\lambda[/tex] ? Isn't is critical that the 'typo' has to be correct to be able to solve for this ?

The author's solution as you might expect is [tex]\lambda = \left(\sigma^{T}\sigma\right)^{-1}\sigma^{T}[\alpha - \bf{r}][/tex].

BTW, thanks for making the effort to look at the problem. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Related to Solving for Surjective Matrix: A Possible Typo in the Theorem Statement?

What is a surjective matrix?

A surjective matrix is a square matrix where every row and column contains at least one non-zero element, meaning that every output of the matrix can be obtained by some input. In other words, every element in the output vector is mapped to by at least one element in the input vector.

Why is solving for a surjective matrix important?

Solving for a surjective matrix is important because it allows us to find solutions for systems of linear equations. In addition, it can help us determine whether a function is one-to-one or onto, which has implications in fields such as cryptography and data compression.

What are some methods for solving for a surjective matrix?

Some methods for solving for a surjective matrix include Gaussian elimination, Gauss-Jordan elimination, and matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating the matrix through elementary row operations to transform it into a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

Can a matrix be both surjective and injective?

No, a matrix cannot be both surjective and injective. A surjective matrix has a non-zero determinant, while an injective matrix has a zero determinant. Therefore, a matrix cannot have both properties at the same time.

What are some applications of surjective matrices?

Surjective matrices have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used in solving systems of linear equations, image and signal processing, and data compression. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of linear transformations and their impact on vector spaces.