Solving for Unit Vectors in U Given Vector 1 and Matrix S

In summary: This will give you the unitary matrix U. In summary, to find vector 2 and 3 for the unitary matrix U, you need to construct an orthonormal basis using the given vector 1 and two additional vectors. The standard method is to use the Gram-Schmidt process on a non-orthonormal basis, such as the ones given in your notes or by using the matrix S with columns v1, w2, and w3. This will result in the desired unitary matrix U.
cylers89
So I am given the vector 1...but I need to find vector 2 and 3, in order to find U=(v1, v2, v3), and U is a unitary matrix.

Vector 1 is: (1/2+1/2i 1/2 1/2i)^T

The example from my notes shows me how to find U, but I am also given a matrix S to start with...

Any clue where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
cylers89 said:
So I am given the vector 1...but I need to find vector 2 and 3, in order to find U=(v1, v2, v3), and U is a unitary matrix.

Vector 1 is: (1/2+1/2i 1/2 1/2i)^T

The example from my notes shows me how to find U, but I am also given a matrix S to start with...

Any clue where to start?
A unitary matrix is one whose columns (or rows) form an orthonormal basis for the underlying space. So if the first column v1 is given, then you need to make that the first vector of an orthonormal basis for $\mathbb{C}^3$. The other two vectors v2 and v3 in that basis will then give you the remaining columns of U.

The standard way to construct such a basis is to start with a (non-orthnormal) basis $\{v_1,w_2,w_3\}$ and apply the Gram–Schmidt process to it. You could for example take $w_2=(0,1,0)$ and $w_3=(0,0,1).$

I don't know how the construction in your notes works, but I am guessing that if you take the matrix S to have columns v1, w2 and w3, then that construction will effectively be the same as the Gram–Schmidt construction that I would use.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate direction in a particular space. It is commonly represented by a lowercase letter with a hat (^) on top, such as .

2. How do you solve for unit vectors?

To solve for unit vectors in a given vector 1 and matrix S, you can use the formula û = v / || v || where is the unit vector, v is the given vector, and || v || is the magnitude of the given vector. This will give you the normalized unit vector in the same direction as the given vector.

3. Why is it important to solve for unit vectors?

Unit vectors are important in many scientific and mathematical applications because they simplify calculations and allow for easier interpretation of results. They can also be used to describe physical quantities with direction, such as velocity and force.

4. Can unit vectors be negative?

No, unit vectors cannot be negative. As mentioned earlier, unit vectors have a magnitude of 1, which means they only have positive values. However, they can point in any direction in a given space.

5. How are unit vectors used in real-world situations?

Unit vectors have various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent and calculate quantities with direction, such as displacement, acceleration, and electric fields. They are also used in 3D graphics to determine the orientation of objects and in navigation systems to determine direction and location.