Solving Geometric Sequences: Finding Time to Pay Off Mortgage

In summary, a mortgage of £80,000 is taken out and paid off with annual instalments of £5,000, starting at the end of the first year. With 4% interest charged on any outstanding debt, it takes around 12 years to pay off the mortgage. The relevant equation for this calculation is Sn = (r^(n+1)-1)/(r-1).
seboastien

Homework Statement

A mortgage is taken out for £80,000. It is to be paid by annual instalments of 5000with the first payment being made at the end of the first year that the mortgage was taken out. Interest of 4% is then charged on any outstanding debt. Find the total time taken to pay off the mortgage.

Homework Equations

Sn=a(r^n-1)/r-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea here can someone please point me in the right direction, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
seboastien said:

Homework Statement

A mortgage is taken out for £80,000. It is to be paid by annual instalments of 5000with the first payment being made at the end of the first year that the mortgage was taken out. Interest of 4% is then charged on any outstanding debt. Find the total time taken to pay off the mortgage.

Homework Equations

Sn=a(r^n-1)/r-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea here can someone please point me in the right direction, thanks!

Since you want a pointer in the right direction, start with your 80K subtract the payment 5K...then add to what remains 4% interest, then subtract 5K again and add to what remains 4% interest, then subtract...and so on. (so long as you don't actually calculate anything here you should see that you'll be summing up terms in a geometric sequence)
Clearly if you keep repeating this process the debt will become zero. the n in your relevant equation is the number of times interest gets added.
For what value of n will it be true that your above summation will be equal to zero?

Last edited:
I'm getting just over 12 years, is that correct?

it dosen't sound right

with no interest, paying 5000/year. it would take 80000/5000 = 16 years to pay it off. it's going to be more than that with interest

seboastien said:
I'm getting just over 12 years, is that correct?

what expression did you form to get that?
furthermore, shouldn't your sum equation be of the form: Sn = (r^(n+1)-1)/(r-1)?

Hmm..am I right in saying that you got 12 years by the following process:
1.a): 80000-5000
1.b): (1.a) - 0.04*(1.a)
1.c): (1.b) - 5000
1.d): (1.c) - 0.04*(1.c)...and so on?

Last edited:

Related to Solving Geometric Sequences: Finding Time to Pay Off Mortgage

What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number called the common ratio.

How can geometric sequences be used to find the time to pay off a mortgage?

By using the formula for the sum of a geometric sequence, which is S = a(1-r^n) / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms, we can determine how long it will take to pay off a mortgage by setting the sum equal to the total mortgage amount and solving for n.

What is the common ratio in a mortgage payment schedule?

The common ratio in a mortgage payment schedule is the ratio between the amount of the monthly payment and the remaining balance on the mortgage. This ratio will remain constant throughout the life of the mortgage.

How can geometric sequences help with financial planning for a mortgage?

By understanding how geometric sequences work and how they can be used to calculate the time it takes to pay off a mortgage, individuals can use this information to make informed decisions about their mortgage, such as choosing a shorter or longer term, or increasing or decreasing their monthly payments.

Are there any limitations to using geometric sequences to calculate mortgage payments?

Yes, there are some limitations. Geometric sequences assume that the monthly payment and interest rate will remain constant throughout the life of the mortgage, which may not always be the case. Also, other factors such as taxes and insurance may impact the total mortgage amount and the time it takes to pay it off.