1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving kinetic energy of reaction's products

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is my first thread in this forum, please forgive me if I made any mistake on posting.

2. Relevant equations

I am having difficulty on solving the Problem 5.

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer I obtained is 1.5MeV, is it correct ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2
    i think its 2.5MeV
    the mass defect of X is 2MeV since the K.E. released(energy of the products) must be equal to the mass defect.
    in 2nd eqn, the mass defect is sum of Mass defect of X and the electron
    therefore we add 0.5MeV to the X's 2.0MeV to get 2.5MeV

proton007007

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ryan, welcome to PF :)
    Just so you learn from your 'mistakes': "I am having difficulty on solving the Problem 5" does not count as a relevant equation. Neither does " The answer I obtained is 1.5MeV, is it correct ? " count as an attempt at solution. PF has this template for very good reasons (see guidelines). We're not here to stamp-approve homework, but to help people along. So we need to know where you are and you can show by properly formulating the problem (i.e. not linking to a rotated test page) and listing off variables & known/given data, line up the equations you think you need and show what you have done.

I also have a question for proton: in the sescond reaction you also don't have to create a positron. Doesn't that yield another .5 MeV ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted