Solving kinetic energy of reaction's products

In summary, the conversation is about a difficulty in solving Problem 5 and determining the correct answer of 2.5MeV. There is also a discussion about the mass defect of X and the creation of a positron. The user is reminded to properly format their question and show their work.
Ryan.L

Homework Statement

This is my first thread in this forum, please forgive me if I made any mistake on posting.

Homework Equations

I am having difficulty on solving the Problem 5.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I obtained is 1.5MeV, is it correct ?

Attachments

• IMG_4878.JPG
    IMG_4878.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
i think its 2.5MeV
the mass defect of X is 2MeV since the K.E. released(energy of the products) must be equal to the mass defect.
in 2nd eqn, the mass defect is sum of Mass defect of X and the electron
therefore we add 0.5MeV to the X's 2.0MeV to get 2.5MeVproton007007

Hello Ryan, welcome to PF :)
Just so you learn from your 'mistakes': "I am having difficulty on solving the Problem 5" does not count as a relevant equation. Neither does " The answer I obtained is 1.5MeV, is it correct ? " count as an attempt at solution. PF has this template for very good reasons (see guidelines). We're not here to stamp-approve homework, but to help people along. So we need to know where you are and you can show by properly formulating the problem (i.e. not linking to a rotated test page) and listing off variables & known/given data, line up the equations you think you need and show what you have done.

I also have a question for proton: in the sescond reaction you also don't have to create a positron. Doesn't that yield another .5 MeV ?

1. What is kinetic energy in a chemical reaction?

Kinetic energy in a chemical reaction refers to the energy that is involved in the movement or motion of the reactant particles as they collide and interact with each other to form the products. It is a type of energy that is associated with the motion of objects and is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is the kinetic energy of a reaction's products calculated?

The kinetic energy of a reaction's products can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the product particles, and v is the velocity of the particles. This equation takes into account both the mass and the speed of the particles to determine their kinetic energy.

3. What factors can affect the kinetic energy of a reaction's products?

The kinetic energy of a reaction's products can be affected by several factors, including the nature and type of reactants, temperature, concentration, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can impact the speed and collision frequency of the reactant particles, thus influencing their kinetic energy.

4. Why is it important to know the kinetic energy of a reaction's products?

Knowing the kinetic energy of a reaction's products is important because it allows us to understand the dynamics and behavior of the chemical reaction. It can also help us predict the direction and rate of the reaction, as well as identify any potential hazards or challenges that may arise during the reaction.

5. How can the kinetic energy of a reaction's products be controlled?

The kinetic energy of a reaction's products can be controlled by manipulating the factors that affect it, such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of catalysts. By adjusting these variables, we can alter the speed and frequency of the reactant particles' collisions, thus controlling their kinetic energy and the overall rate of the reaction.