Deriving hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy.

In summary, the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a rotating system. It is derived using classical mechanics equations for rotational motion and is significant in calculating energy levels and eigenstates in rotating systems. However, it cannot be applied to other types of motion. It is also a fundamental operator in quantum mechanics and is related to other operators, such as the angular momentum operator.
georg gill

Homework Statement

I am trying to get the hamiltonain operator equality for a rigid rotor. But I don't get it. Please see the red text in the bottom for my direct problem. The rest is just the derivation I used from classical mechanics.

Homework Equations

upload_2016-1-16_8-57-32.png

By using algebra we obtain:

upload_2016-1-16_8-58-19.png

By using this defintion K of rotational kinetic energy one writes:
upload_2016-1-16_8-59-51.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-1-16_9-0-25.png
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can show that
$$K = \frac 12 \mu (r\omega)^2 = \frac 12 (\mu r^2)\omega^2 = \frac 12 I \omega^2 = \frac{L^2}{2I},$$ where ##L## is the angular momentum of the system.

1. What is the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy?

The Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a rotating system. It is represented by the symbol 𝛹 and is defined as the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy of the rotating system.

2. How is the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy derived?

The Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy is derived using the classical mechanics equations for rotational motion, such as the moment of inertia and angular velocity. These equations are then translated into their quantum mechanical equivalents, resulting in the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy?

The Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy is significant because it allows us to calculate the energy levels and eigenstates of a rotating system in quantum mechanics. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a rotating environment, such as atoms and molecules.

4. Can the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy be used for all rotating systems?

No, the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy is specifically designed for systems that exhibit rotational motion, such as atoms and molecules. It cannot be applied to other types of motion, such as linear or vibrational motion.

5. How does the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy relate to other quantum mechanical operators?

The Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy is one of the fundamental operators in quantum mechanics, along with the position and momentum operators. It is also related to other operators, such as the angular momentum operator, which is defined in terms of the Hamiltonian operator for rotational kinetic energy.