Solving Node Voltages for V1 & V2

• Thread starter stau40
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the node voltages for V1 and V2. The given equations can be simplified to two equations with two unknowns. To solve, one equation can be used to find an expression for one of the unknowns in terms of the other, which can then be substituted into the second equation to solve for the remaining unknown. Cramer's rule can also be used to check the solution. However, without seeing the circuit, it is not possible to confirm the accuracy of the given equations.
stau40

Homework Statement

The problem asks to find the node voltage for V1 and V2.

Homework Equations

(V1/40) + ((V1-V2)/8) - 6 = 0
((V2-V1)/8) + 1 + (V2/120) + (V2/80) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have simplified the above equations to:
(6V1/40) - (V2/8) = 6
(35V2/240) - (V1/8) = -1

How can I solve from this point? I have read to use Cramers method, but I'm not sure how to apply this. I have plugged in many numbers without any luck, but there has to be an easier way then just guessing?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Without seeing the circuit, there's no way we can check your work.

However, if I ASSUME that your equations are correct, then I should point out that you have only two unknowns, and two equations, which means that you can come up with an exact solution. All you have to do is use one of the equations to solve for one of the unknowns (e.g. V1) in terms of the other. Then substitute this expression for V1 into the second equation (effectively eliminating that variable). Solve for V2. You're done.

EDIT: Yeah, you could use Cramer's rule here too, but it seems like overkill. It's a good way to check your work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramer's_rule

Related to Solving Node Voltages for V1 & V2

What is the purpose of solving node voltages for V1 and V2?

The purpose of solving node voltages for V1 and V2 is to determine the voltage values at specific nodes in an electrical circuit. This information is crucial for analyzing the behavior and performance of the circuit.

How do you calculate node voltages for V1 and V2?

To calculate node voltages for V1 and V2, you need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. First, apply KCL at each node to determine the current flowing into or out of the node. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage drop across each resistor. Finally, add or subtract these voltage drops to or from the reference node to determine the voltage at each node.

What are some common mistakes when solving node voltages for V1 and V2?

Some common mistakes when solving node voltages for V1 and V2 include forgetting to consider the direction of current flow, not properly labeling the reference node, and incorrectly applying KCL or Ohm's Law. It is important to double-check all calculations and make sure all variables and units are correctly accounted for.

Can you use any method to solve for node voltages for V1 and V2?

No, there are specific methods for solving node voltages, such as the Node-Voltage Method or Mesh Analysis. These methods use different approaches to simplify the process of solving for multiple node voltages and are more efficient than trying to solve them individually.

How do node voltages for V1 and V2 affect the overall circuit?

Node voltages for V1 and V2 are crucial in determining the behavior and performance of the circuit. These voltages can affect the current flow, power dissipation, and efficiency of the circuit. By accurately solving for these voltages, engineers and scientists can make informed decisions in designing and optimizing the circuit.